1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Standard P Vs Classic 50's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Big mark, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    I have come to the conclusion that my soul needs a P and it's down to one of these two with flats to give me some old School joy.
    My question is, in YOUR opinion is the 50's worth the extra £?
    As far as I can see the differences are, Pups, neck profile, gig bag and IF talk is to be believed an improved QC are the differences, have I missed any?
    Anyone owned both that can give me a real world opinion?
    Cheers
    M
    PS the Dirnt P Bass would also have featured but Fender UK are out of stock.

2. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Vintage tuners and threaded saddle bridge on the 50's ... I like the used prices of both much better than new :), but if I was to go MIM Standard, I would probably try to find a 2008+ ... JMHO

3. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks TJ,
    Will be a brand new which ever way I go

4. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    I would go with the 50's P over the mim standard but even better would be to snag a used Road Worn P, providing you dont mind the relic finish.

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I've owned both. The Classic '50s is getting gigged this weekend, and the Standard is long gone. Night and day difference. Do a search here on the Classic '50s and you'll find a lot of threads about how much they are loved. Mine has TI Jazz Flats, and I love it.

6. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I played both before eventually opting for the ‘50s Classic P. Both are terrific instruments, but the ‘50s Classic P won me over — especially the lovely neck tint. Mine is currently sporting Fender/D’Addario stainless steel flats, and has become my go-to bass for R&B/Motown/Soul gigs.

7. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Perfect guys, totally backed up my thoughts.
    Thanks!

8. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    if you're looking at MIM ....take a look at the Squier CV P bass as well ...i was hosting a rock camp for kids this summer and grabbed one lad's CV P Bass ....had a hard time putting it down!

9. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    If it is the case, opt for a MIM standard

I had both (and ain't got anymore: I'm a "Jazz bass guy" for a reason) but, even if sound and finishings on the Classic are way better, the downtuning (I need because we play that way) with that pickup ("sound") threaded saddles bridge, neck and machineheads ("accuracy") became unmatchin'.

Cheers,
    Wallace