1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM Standard Precision 2001-2008?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Oleg BassPlayer, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Oleg BassPlayer

Oleg BassPlayer

Feb 4, 2016
    Ukraine
    Hi everybody!

I'm considering buying a Mexican Precision, the serial number check on Fender site reads that it is "STANDARD PRECISION BASS® (2001-2006) (2006-2008)".
    According to this page, it was produced in 2006-2007.

Has anybody had such a P? Is it good?

Also, what woods did they use for them?

2. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    From what I understand, poplar bodies from 91-~2000/2002, when they switched to alder. Maple necks with rosewood or maple fretboards. 2008 and later are all made by CNC machining, so they are supposed to be more consistent.

Are they good? Yes and maybe. I bought a new 1991 P bass in 1992 and played it unmodified until ~2016. I love that bass and it is still my favorite. However, the word on the street is that the electronics (potentiometers and pickups) in the MIM basses are not as good as the American made fenders. I had a scratchy pot and jack. I replaced them in 2016. Not a bad run for the cheap electronics. The pickup still works, but I have replaced it with a fancier pickup because I come to talkbass and get bad ideas.

Is the bass in question a good bass? I could be awesome or a piece of abused trash. It is worth the time and effort to go play it before you buy it.