MIM std or dlx j bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by --Wang--, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Should I buy the MIM std j bass and upgrade the pups on my own, or just splurge initially and get the MIA pups on the dlx j bass?

Again, Canadian prices for the dlx j bass would be appreciated.
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I have no idea about Canadian prices... But if you like the MIM deluxe, why not get that rather than getting the other and upgrading? It's not that much more.
  3. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I got the MIM Jazz Deluxe
    and i like its sound i will not change the pu ...

Do like you want ...
    But it sounds so sweeet and nice .
  4. I'd go with the Deluxe and stick with the stock pickups, and use the left over money for other things.
  5. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I got a MIM standard jazz because I didn't want to spend to much money at the time. A few months later I felt comfortable investing in new pickups, bridge, Thomastik strings etc. It worked out for me. But if you want to spend the money for a MIM deluxe now then you won't need to upgrade and you'll most likely love the sound.

Most Canadian music stores sell at the list price in canadian dolars. For example, the list price for a MIM standard jazz is $580 US, and in most canadian stores you can get it for around $580 CDN.
  6. I got a MIM Jazz, replaced the pickguard and put a the pickups with EMG LJ and SJ's 18 volt system, real nice, it's got a better sound then the Deluxe too!
  7. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    i cant help ya on the canadian prices either, sorry. But there is a big tonal difference between the standard jazz and dlx jazz. The dlx sounds much deeper and has more pressence than the standard model does. much better electronics and pickups imo. And when you think about how much it will cost to modify the standard with better pickups your going to be around the same price as the dlx. probably just a bit less in price. Its well worth it to spend the extra money on the mim dlx imo.
  8. IMO a MIM Std. with the right upgrades is better than a deluxe
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Imo the MIM Deluxe offers alot of bang for the buck.
    Id take another one over a regular MIM anyday....
  10. JefWes

Jan 1, 2002
    A month ago I decided to buy another Fretted bass to use while my Stingray gets ready for new frets installed, so I got a MIM Fender Standard Jazz Bass.
    It sounded ok in the store and played nicely, but when I got home, plugged it in and compared it to the Stingray I was highly dissapointed. Extremely DULL sounding. I returned it and got a MIM Fender Deluxe Jazz and the difference is night and day. The Deluxe has more low end than the Stingray and it's also quieter! The high end can get as crisp as you want it. Well worth the extra money for me. I think I have a nice replacement for my Stingray while it's getting repaired.
  11. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    you never know... you might like the way a passive fender jazz sounds... many people do.
    so i would get the regular jazz, gig with it, record with it, play the heck out of it, and if you ever find that you're not satisfied with the tone, then upgrade. the upside is that you can get whatever pickups you want, and maybe a aguilar pre-amp or j-retro or whatever.