1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD MIM/USA P-Bass Special (passive) with California Series neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassman_al, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale is a bass that I put together myself. It plays great and looks fantastic. The body and neck were purchased separately, both here on TB. $450 with Fender gig bag. I am looking for a local sale only, but I will ship to anyone in the US who is willing to pay for shipping.

I love the original passive P/J configuration of the P-Bass Special line. I have built one of those here. The pickups are not the same as those used on that early line of P-Bass Specials, but they sound pretty good to me. The J pickup is the Fender Noiseless and the P-pickups look the same as my "50's Classic" pickups.

The back story: The body is a 5+ year old Fender Deluxe Active Precision Bass Special. I am not sure of the exact date of manufacture since there is no date in the neck pocket. This bass was originally outfitted with active electronic circuitry. That circuitry had been altered to passive by the time I received it. The alteration was sloppy and utilized the original pick guard, so there was a blank hole on the pickguard! The pics I have posted on Flickr show the initial condition of the bass. I bought the body as a project. It had been neglected and abused, but it cleaned up very nicely. All of this is documented in my album on Flickr, so check out those pics. I repaired a large chip on the back side of the top of the body. The body has some rash on the back and some scratches on the front as well. I tried to show those as best I could in these pics. Overall the bass looks really nice.

Here is what I did to the bass body:
    -Re-wired the electronis to correct passive P/J specs, using CTS 250k pots for volume and Bournes 250k pot for tone, with .047uF orange drop capacitor and Switchcraft jack.
    -Kept the original pickups, installed new plastic pickup covers. I just installed the covers last night, and I took a couple of quick photos to show how they look.
    -Installed gold anodized pickguard from a Fender "50's classic" bass
    -Routed the electronics cavity slightly in order to accommodate the passive set-up with the gold guard.
    -Repaired the chip mentioned above. I used the CA glue drop-fill method for the repair. The repair is not completely smooth to the touch, but its pretty close.
    -Iinstalled Dunlop "Dual Design" Strap buttons with a nice wide flange. I use these with or without their strap lock system. I have them on all my basses. The pics in my follow-up post below show those strap buttons, as well as the tort guard I have that is an available alternative to the gold.

The neck is one of those rare California Series necks that were made for a couple years. It is a USA neck, jazz specs. It was sent to the Fender Ensenada plant for painting only, and received it's final quality check back in the US. 7.25" fretboard radius, so it has a more vintage feel.

Thumb rest to be added at buyer's request. I have not drilled those holes yet.

Bass comes with a set of new D'Addario half rounds. If you prefer no strings, knock $12 off the price.

If the buyer is not in love with the gold guard, I also have other pickguards that I can use. Tortoise shell (pictured in follow-up post below), white, and silver pearloid (I'll post a pic of this soon). Knock $15 off the price if you choose one of the other guards.

Sale includes a Fender gig bag. I also have some nice cases available as upgrades.
    -Reunion Blues gig bag for $100 in near-new condition
    -Wolf Pak polyfoam case in excellent condition (one repaired interior storage compartment handle) for $90
    -Generic polyfoam case for $75.

I can swap out different pickups if the buyer wants. I have a set of "50's Classic" pickups although visually they look the same as the ones installed now. I am not sure if the specs are the exact same. Maybe someone else can help me out. They measured 9.6 ohms of resistance on my multi-meter. I have a Fender Jazz "Original 60's"/AV RI bridge pickup available as an upgrade for an additional $40.

I can also offer 2 bridge upgrade options:
    Gotoh 201 for $30 extra.
    BA II for $50 extra.

Strings I can offer:
    New set of GHS Brite Flats in light gauge for additional $20
    Used set of TI flats in good shape (JF344) for $50 additional
    D'Addario rounds for no additional charge
    DR Sunbeams in light gauge, new, for $20 additional

I am posting some pics here. There are more on https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanpachter/sets/72157644441271704/

14549680295_92f7ea9585_o. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14549681045_df2d32bf86_o. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14363025570_0b5aff9a03_o. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14548757852_61ce61b646_o. Untitled by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14433700627_801a702dab. Same body with tortoise shell pickguard and shiny new plastic pickup covers. by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14619576582_3ec90b0c9a. Same body with tortoise shell pickguard and shiny new plastic pickup covers. by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14433437980_0b504a6276. Same body with tortoise shell pickguard and shiny new plastic pickup covers. by alanpachter, on Flickr
    14640036373_a1eac825cf. Same body with tortoise shell pickguard and shiny new plastic pickup covers. by alanpachter, on Flickr

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. Oh, this is very interesting... I'm bookmarking this thread and waiting to hear about the output with the 250k pot and pics of the pickup covers. Looks great so far!

3. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Thanks for the compliments on the looks, Its a nice looking bass. I really can't decide which bass to keep, this one or the other P-Bass Special I have, which is also pictured on my Flickr account. Only need one... If this one sells, then my decision is made for me. I like them both but I already have a black and gold bass... Could always kee the tort guard on this one... :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  4. Oh yeah, if I buy this one I'd DEFINITELY want the tort guard. And I'm only a couple of hours away from Fairfax. This could work out really well. I'll keep an eye on this one!

5. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    A man after my own heart! I love that black/tort combination. I'll put a rush on completing the work since you seem very interested in buying the bass, Pimaster.

PimasterPearson likes this.
  6. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Update:
    I'm still working on it. It's coming along, though. Need to make the harness a little more neat and solder the ground wire to the cavity ground lug. But it sounds good and I think replacing the pot has solved the low output issue! I'm going to finish the work on it tonight.

7. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Looks like I have Pimaster coming over on Saturday to check her out. Looking forward to that!

8. RussT

RussT Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Toronto
    Do u have the original 4 hole pickguard? If so I would be interested in it as I have a passive california series that I made active and need the extra hole.

9. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I do! PM me and we can work something out. Thanks!

10. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1405052565.801695.
    Finished! I wish I was more efficient but after a thorough QC I'm ready to show her off! First visitor all lined up for Saturday, driving 2 hours to meet her! I'm flattered and excited!

11. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1405135871.166590.
    Took the bass to my jazz duo gig tonight with my buddy Cristian Perez on guitar. This bass is a mutha! A real freight train, especially through the 4 ohm 210 and wearing those half rounds. A very bright and cutting sounding tone monster! I love how the J pup tames the P pups just enough to make the bass slightly more polite without losing the P signature sound. And that black with tort, well, let's just say it's a look that doesn't suck. Anyway, good to get this bass off of my bench!

12. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! In Memoriam

Bumparo for brother Al.....a first rate TB'er!!

13. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Thanks brother Denny! Hope your summer is going well! I'll be playing a wedding in Wilmington DE in August. I'll give you a shout if I have time for a visit!

14. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    ...and sold for $535 with the RB bag to the gentleman from Charlottesville. It was a pleasure meeting another TB-er. Erik, thank you and please remember if anything in that control cavity ever fails, I'll repair it at no charge!

15. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    attempting to close thread

16. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    I can't figure out how to close threads in this new format. Help, please.

17. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    ok I think I figured it out.

18. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    and closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.