MIM vs. American P-bass pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wildbill59, Jun 7, 2005.

1. wildbill59

Feb 27, 2005
    I want to replace the pups on my Squier P-bass. I know, everybody hates Squiers, but I got it for 60 bucks, and the neck is perfect, so I figure I can afford new electronics. I saw a nice deal on Fender MIM pups, complete with pots and jack, all wired up. Should that be noticably better than the Squier? Are American pups gonna be that much better than the MIMs? I like the classic p-bass sound, the Squiers are just too muddy at the bottom end and not much tone adjustment. Also, about pots, is there any big difference between the American, MIM and Squiers? Any input or opinions greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks in advance, Wild Bill
  2. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    I have pulled out a lot of MIM pups. The are probably better than the ones you have, but if your going to mess around with electronics, get some good american p/us. I have added bartolini 8s P to a couple of basses I had and it improved the bass to a new high end bass sound. Around $85 new, they last forever and have a very good resale value if you don't like them, but you will. Nice clean thick low end.
  3. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    Get yourself a duncan quarter pounder.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Might as well go all the way and spend about $80 on a Dimarzio Model P, Duncan Quarter Pounder or something of the sort and some new pots. Many people throw these in their USA P-basses, I know I can't get enough of the Dimarzio Model P.