Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM vs. Essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by handlax14, Dec 9, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    hey all,

Ive been gasing for a jazz bass, and seeing how i wont have a lot of money to spend im looking at the Fender MIM's and the Essex basses. Im looking for opinions on both of these basses. i read the megathread on SX and everyone seems pretty staoked about these basses. are they as good or better than the MIM's? thanx a lot for your help

pgk

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I can tell you that I love my MIM Jazz. It plays well, sounds great, and looks good :) . My take on the SX is that it is comparable to the MIM and it will cost you less money. Like the MIM, the SX can be easily modded and upgraded. I bought the MIM because I wanted a Fender. My next bass could well be an SX.

Dan

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    i'll take a MIM over an essex anyday. but i would take a upgraded essex over a stock MIM.........

4. Why? Just cause the Fender name?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yep you got it, wow. good guess.:rolleyes:

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I wondering the same thing. Why a MIM over a Essex other than name?

7. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Don't worry about the name (if you were that concerned, you wouldn't even get a MIM!)

You have to play and listen before you buy!..especially with these two basses, as their construction can be inconsistent from one to the next.

I own both. My first bass was a used MIM P with EMGs I got for $225. I looked at new ones, but this one felt and sounded better. It's a good bass.

I also bought an Essex 5 string after reading about them here. Again, I played a lot of them at the store and picked the one that I thought was best. After adjusting the action and changing strings, it plays and sounds real nice.

To me, they are generally comparable, but you can find a diamond in the rough if you look hard!

good luck

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Why? because i think the MIM just sound better stock. To me. essex is not the end all to cheap, good, basses. I found their tone to be vary from one to the next(just like mim's). then again, don't listen to me, i'm a raging idiot.

9. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Problem with Essex is there is no try before you buy option :\

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, i know 4 bassists that play essex, and i really like them, but i like mim's a tad bit more.... i have changed my mind a little. i'm SO getting a sunburst Essex jazz copy to upgrade and play around on. i mean, for that price.,,,, WHY THE HECK NOT?