1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM vs. Essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by handlax14, Dec 9, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    hey all,

Ive been gasing for a jazz bass, and seeing how i wont have a lot of money to spend im looking at the Fender MIM's and the Essex basses. Im looking for opinions on both of these basses. i read the megathread on SX and everyone seems pretty staoked about these basses. are they as good or better than the MIM's? thanx a lot for your help

pgk

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I can tell you that I love my MIM Jazz. It plays well, sounds great, and looks good :) . My take on the SX is that it is comparable to the MIM and it will cost you less money. Like the MIM, the SX can be easily modded and upgraded. I bought the MIM because I wanted a Fender. My next bass could well be an SX.

Dan

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    i'll take a MIM over an essex anyday. but i would take a upgraded essex over a stock MIM.........

4. Why? Just cause the Fender name?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yep you got it, wow. good guess.:rolleyes:

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I wondering the same thing. Why a MIM over a Essex other than name?

7. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    Don't worry about the name (if you were that concerned, you wouldn't even get a MIM!)

You have to play and listen before you buy!..especially with these two basses, as their construction can be inconsistent from one to the next.

I own both. My first bass was a used MIM P with EMGs I got for $225. I looked at new ones, but this one felt and sounded better. It's a good bass.

I also bought an Essex 5 string after reading about them here. Again, I played a lot of them at the store and picked the one that I thought was best. After adjusting the action and changing strings, it plays and sounds real nice.

To me, they are generally comparable, but you can find a diamond in the rough if you look hard!

good luck

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Why? because i think the MIM just sound better stock. To me. essex is not the end all to cheap, good, basses. I found their tone to be vary from one to the next(just like mim's). then again, don't listen to me, i'm a raging idiot.

9. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Problem with Essex is there is no try before you buy option :\

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, i know 4 bassists that play essex, and i really like them, but i like mim's a tad bit more.... i have changed my mind a little. i'm SO getting a sunburst Essex jazz copy to upgrade and play around on. i mean, for that price.,,,, WHY THE HECK NOT?