Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM vs MIA Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jr47foam, Jul 5, 2004.

1. jr47foam

jr47foam

Dec 15, 2003
    Hatboro, PA
    Okay. What are the real differences between the two? I'd like to get a second jazz bass. I currently own an MIM and I like it a lot. What are the big differences with the MIA ones?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Different electronics, better materials. Pretty much everything is better in some way. Beter quality construction.

3. This is probably one of those threads people think are way overdone, and that's why you aren't getting many replies. You probably wouldn't want to get most of them anyway, judging from the recent trend to harp on people.

Anyway, I've only been playing about four months, but I'll be glad to share what little I noticed when checking them out this past weekend. :D MIA's have different pickups (which sounded a lot better than 4/5 of the MIM's I played), string through bridge, and the MIA I played had an awesome maple fingerboard and birdseye neck (I believe I'm remembering that right). Oh, and I almost forgot price. The American was $999 and an MIM Deluxe could have been had for $486.

On a side note though, I do believe that there are some outstanding MIM's out there. The best MIM I played was a natural ash beauty at $479, and for a broke guy like me, if I would have went with a Jazz, there woudn't have been enough difference to justify dropping that much extra cash on the American.

4. jr47foam

jr47foam

Dec 15, 2003
    Hatboro, PA
    Thanks for the reply. I paid $389 for my jazz bass and like it alot. Have not tried the MIA'a yet but think I'll start browsing.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    MIAs are much higher quality, which is reflected in their price. Take a look at both, try them out in a store, see if you think it's worth the difference.

In addition to the above mentioned differences, MIAs have graphite reinforced necks which MIMs lack.

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    fender japan is supposed to be as good as mia basses... wood quality cant be an diffrence? since if both are made of alder, they both are made of alder? i have noticed that diffrence on necks..(basically rosewood) is more sticky on cheaper basses...

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, there's an obvious difference in the quality of woods. You can't say "Well, it's alder, so it's the same wood as that bass which costs more than twice as much". There's big enough variance in the quality of the woods used in MIAs alone, there seems to be a fair jump from the MIM to the MIA woods.

Oh, Sigkill, the birdseye neck was an anomaly. You'll notice this is fairly common -- Fender's quality control is poor, so a lot of lemons come out, but there's the occasional instrument that inspires a "HOLY CRAP THIS IS AWESOME". It's not entirely uncommon to find a bit of figuring in the neck -- heck, there's a bit of flame on the maple neck on my indonesian-made Samick :D.