MIM vs. MIA Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Is there any difference in the sound between the Mexican P-Bass and the American model? I know the American models are better built but do they sound the same? I am going to buy a MIM P today. I can then sup it up a little and have a great backup bass.
  2. Although I have never played the MIM P, I scored a MIA P for $400 including a case, and it amazes me everytime I play it. If I compare the construction to my MIM J, this American beats it by a whole lot. Look for MIA used, you may get lucky like I did. You may even be able to find the a NOS American Standard for around $500 brand new, there is a black one at the local GC that is very nice but is exactly like the one I already have.
  3. cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    Hey Count
    how do you like it. I just picked one up and I'm very surprised at the playablity of it. I have kind of a heavy touch on the neck, so I'm having a little trouble with the light feel it has. I have an older jazz, when I bought it new and had to change pickups and bridge. I felt this was going to be standard, so I knew at minimum I have to change those. I haven't been able to jam with it yet, but so far I really like it.