Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIM vs. MIA Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Is there any difference in the sound between the Mexican P-Bass and the American model? I know the American models are better built but do they sound the same? I am going to buy a MIM P today. I can then sup it up a little and have a great backup bass.

2. Although I have never played the MIM P, I scored a MIA P for $400 including a case, and it amazes me everytime I play it. If I compare the construction to my MIM J, this American beats it by a whole lot. Look for MIA used, you may get lucky like I did. You may even be able to find the a NOS American Standard for around $500 brand new, there is a black one at the local GC that is very nice but is exactly like the one I already have.

3. cep

cep

Jun 12, 2001
    Crockett, ca
    Hey Count
    how do you like it. I just picked one up and I'm very surprised at the playablity of it. I have kind of a heavy touch on the neck, so I'm having a little trouble with the light feel it has. I have an older jazz, when I bought it new and had to change pickups and bridge. I felt this was going to be standard, so I knew at minimum I have to change those. I haven't been able to jam with it yet, but so far I really like it.