MIMF Bass Coming Closer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jun 20, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some of you may remember, I mentioned quite a while ago that the Musical Instrument Maker's website is having a bass made by some of the talent there. The bass is being built "by committee" and will be sold by eBay auction to raise funds to sustain the site.
    This is just sort of an update on this interesting bass as it stands at this moment for your pleasure -

Here's the headstock (yeah, it's a 4-string) -

Here's the fretboard -

Here's a side view of the body laminates: spalted bookmatched myrtle/ebony/bubinga/black limba -

A look at the neck: red maple/bubinga/ebony -

Other components (not pictured) include 2 Jason Lollar J-pups with ebony covers, custom made Bill Machrone bridge, and 3 ebony knob controls -volume/blend/tone.

NOTE: There is no personal/financial gain for me to publicize this bass.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's some insane inlay work there! Cool looking little doohicky. Speaking of basses in progress, how the DP coming, Rick?
  3. rickbass

4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've been lurking over at the MIMF forums for a while... those guys are great! I would post there if I actually knew something about luthiery. :D
  5. rickbass

Don't be intimidated, Super. They welcome even those of us who would like to have the skills to build instruments but lack them.

If you notice, there are many threads in the solid body bass, electronics, and wood forums where the poster wants input from people who play bass.

The only downside is the level of censhorship makes the USSR under Stalin look like San Francisco in the 60's. (I never used profanity there, or got into an argument, or dissed anyone and I still got kicked off!). It's night and day compared to TB.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So why did you get kicked off... dress code violation?

Just curious;)
  7. rickbass

That's cool, Brad, because I think it's almost as ridiculous as it is pathetic.

A new person, a luthier, put up a thread about making a bass he intended to sell. He requested info about what bassists typically look for in basses and what they expect to pay as the costs of materials/labor increase.

One of MIMF's 37,000 posted policies prohibits the posting of prices for anything. So, I told the guy to email me because the "policy Nazis" won't let me post any really useful info.

Well, the sysop emailed me and told me I was "suspended" because I used the word "Nazi" (isn't that friggin ironic?!?!?).
    I wanted to email her back to tell her I used the word innocently --- even Seinfeld had a famous episode called "The Soup Nazi."!....(and look at how many in that cast are Jewish!). You've probably seen the episode. But, her eminence had her email blocked.

No wonder that site practically has to go to the Plasma Center to scrape money together so it can stay online another week. Don't control freaks ever get tired of kicking themselves in the ass???
  8. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Rickbass, I mostly agree w/ you about MIMF (mostly meaning that I haven't been kicked off, yet ;)). It's a great site, a totally invaluable resource for instrument construction, but I constantly check and double check my posts for fear of breaking one of the rules.
  9. rickbass

Patrick - Don't you think something's very wrong when you feel you need to do that??? I mean, I've seen many of your TB posts and they're always very civil. To me, that indicates a serious problem....and it sure isn't you! (Maybe that's just a remnant of my punk band days in the 70's).

I agree - I've met and have exchanged emails with some terrific people there. The learning was mutual. Some of these talented people also confirmed my suspicion that many choose to end their short-lived MIMF participation after they see how stifling the censorship is there. Many just lurk.

One day, I got fed up with it and made my one "Nazi" comment. (Maybe my screen name should have been "Winston Smith" - the protagonist in Orwell's 1984).

Anyway, back to the bass - "Big Brother," a dulcimer maker, decreed that nothing less than 5-figures will be accepted as the winning eBay bid for the MIMF bass. My bet is that she has a rude awakening coming from "bargain hunter's paradise," (eBay). I advised them to offer it through other channels in addition to eBay. Other members agreed. But, then we learned Big Brother only wants to be listened to, not advised. It's all about "control and manipulation", not "making sense." :rolleyes: