Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIMF Bass Completed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Jun 4, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Note: I have no financial interest in this bass.

FYI - The bass made by commitee by the Musical Instrument Makers Forum is complete. AFAIK, it should appear for sale on eBay very soon.

Among others, V. Wooten tried it out and "blessed" it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Cool inlays! Fancy woods don't do too much for me, but that's certainly a sweet looking bass.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    That is awsome... I think I need it.

4. What a beauty, rickbass. Too bad they don't have more about it over on MIMF. At least, I didn't see anything when I poked my head in there just now, but it's been a while since I looked over there.

Mike

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I'm glad to see that it turned out well, I hadn't seen it mentioned there in a while.

6. It's nice to see a bass with the pups NOT in the traditional Jazz bass positions. Looks kind of like a high end Yamaha Attitude with J pups.

Mike

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Can someone bring up to speed. Whats the story behind this bass? Is it going to be ricks?:confused:

8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    From what I understand, a bunch of luthiers got together and contributed parts and labor in order to raise money for the MIMF.

More Info

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, those knobs kick ass. seriously. :)

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i may receive that bass for a review- it looks beautiful-
    i am very intrigued by what the sound will be like with the bridge pup so far from the bridge.. it is gorgeous!!

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Interesteing take on the jazz bass setup; I bet it's got a lot more thump than the average J with that one pickup so close to the neck. I dig the headstock; it's actually about the same design as Jon Hill's headstocks, with the point going the other way.

[​IMG]

12. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hope they don't have too much trouble selling it with the pickups in those positions. It loks like the neck is even higher than a P- or J-neck, up in Gibson territory. The bridge looks like it's in MM/sweet spot territory, which could sound nice. But many people would want room to slap, which looks kind of limited on this bass.

Beautiful instrument, though.

13. I think it's much further from the bridge than a MM pickup. :confused:

14. Yeah, it looks closer to Rickenbacker placement to me. The MIMF bass is based on archtop builder Bill Moll's electric bass design (http://www.mollinst.com/bass.html), and some of his basses have that pickup placement.

Mike

15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It looks to me like it's about 1/2" closer to the bridge than the midpoint of 24th fret and the bridge, which is about where the neck coil of an MM p'up is.

A Stingray also appears to have the pickup lower because it has only 22 frets (more apparent space from the neck).

16. Is it just me or Vic doesn't look crazy about this bass??? Or maybe he was just having a bad day...

17. Actually, a Stringray has 21 frets, not 22. Not to be picky or anything...

Mike

18. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    We're both right. The SR4 has 21, the SR5 (which I was looking at) has 22.

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What little I know odie is that the pups are custom made by Jason Lollar. the bridge is custom made (sorry, the maker doesn't come to mind at the moment but the MIMF Discussion forums can tell you), Gallery Hardwoods owner, Larry. donated the beautiful woods, and all the other goodies are mentioned on the MIMF website.

It certainly won't be mine - I advised them to make a 5-sring or more because, let's face it ---multi-strings are where the money is. But the MIMF website guru, a dulcimer maker, thinks she knows more about electric basses than I.

Moreover, I think a single luthier's mind/concept behind a design produces a better instrument than a bass made by committee. But, I could be wrong in this case and I really hope they make a lot of money from selling this instrument to keep mimf.com alive.

- ombudsman

Ombudsman - You're correct, IMO. Woot did't exactly rave about this bass. But he didn't dis it either. You can see his comments on the mimf.com website.

Being Victor Wooten, the Fodera man, his trash could be my gems!

Bottomline, I hope the MIMF does well with selling the bass.