Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MIMF Bass Up for Sale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Mar 23, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

(Preface - I have no financial stake in this. I'm just a member of the MIMF website. I post this only because of its uniqueness).

The bass made by members of the Musical Instrument Makers Forum is finally up for sale on eBay - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3713198222&category=4713

Yeah, it's a bass made-by-committee, so you notice some screwy things like black bridge hardware and chrome tuner hardware.

But at least Wooten tried it out.

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Looks like a Carvin with a Drozd inlay. Pretty nice though.

What is up with the funky pickup placement though?

3. vic doesn't look too happy in those pics. When Vic ain't happy, ain't NO BODY happy :)

4. rickbass

I don't think his comments were what I would exactly call "enthusiastic" either, vic.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I can kinda see why- with that wacky pickup placement, there's no place for him to slap. (Or barely any, in any case.)

Still, you can tell it's a well-built instrument. I've lurked for a while at the mimf, and always enjoy seeing projects like this with extremely beautiful inlay work.

Didn't they sell a bass two or three years ago? How did that turn out?

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Funny, but that doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would. Maybe because the tuners look good in proximity with the frets and inlays, and the bridge with the knobs and pups.

Seems like the brass rings on the knobs look lonely as the only gold-colored things on the bass, though.
    Is it just me, or aren't there a lot of pictures out there with VW holding various basses?

7. rickbass

Duck - I've been a member there since 2000 and, AFAIK, this is the first MIMF fund-raising project I know of. Watching this thing take shape and being put up for sale was like watching water erode rocks into sand.

In other words, I think this is the same bass you saw. Larry Davis of Gallery Hardwoods came up with the idea in July of 2001 !!! .......and he donated the beautiful wood.

Among other advice I had about this bass, (which was ignored by the MIMF website admin/owner), I think tax time is a looney time to market an expensive bass to an upper income market. She's expecting megabucks for it.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Geez, that's like... glacial progress. :D