Mind altering bass!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Josh_15, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Hey all. This is a very controversial and maybe offensive topic. But does anyone find that being on cannabis or any other mind altering drug (no beer doesnt do the trick, you just end up soundling like primus :D ) allows them to create better bass lines and generally get a good vibe with their instrument? I know some of you completely disagree with drugs and thats fine, the music buisness is a very large place :)
  2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, I've never found that. My experience has been that I *thought* I played better but *actually* played worse. So that stuff is not for me, even aside from legal issues.

FWIW that's also been my experience with musical colleagues who smoked or whatever--they thought they played better but didn't.

Other folks may have had different experiences; that's just my $0.02. It's not a moral or judgmental thing; I just haven't seen it working in the way you suggest.
  3. Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Well i've found that when i indulge in some all natural herbs, the bass lines that i create are really mellow and groovy. i guess im limited to that style for the extent of my adventure, but also, its hard to be that mellow and groovy sometimes w/o my special herbs.:D
  4. Very rarely do I indulge, and never for playing stuff. I'd be afraid of starting to play bad hippie music. :)

Anyway, some of the best music I've heard produces enough mood altering effects- the first few times I listened to Ravi Shankar were nuts.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've never tried the stuff, but I tend to think that you don't need anything like that to improve your playing, or make it more mellow or whatever. It comes from within.
  6. I have never been close to my bass when being "high".. I've only smoked a few times in my life.
  7. Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I would just like to say to all the people that have never tried marijuana that it is worth a try. I mean i'm not trying in the slightest to pressure anyone, but it is definately and experience. As you all have probably assumed, I am an herbal connoisseur and I enjoy it regularly.
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Why anyone would want to destroy their body and brain with drugs is beyond me.
  9. I must object to that one. Less harmful Drugs do not destroy your body and brain. If they do it is never anything major, if people out there do heroin or any other hard drug, i urge them to stop, but i believe cannabis is perfectly acceptable, so please get your facts right.
  10. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    when i play while stoned, i definitely come up with more interesting stuff and i hear things completely differently, in a really good way. it can be quite fun.

however, it messes with my coordination, my rhythm, my concentration, and my ability to figure things out by ear.

big trade-off. i make sure i get some good quality practicing done first.

soooo... for me, it has a place, but i don't look at it as something that might improve my playing, god no.
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    josh, in your initial post you said it's fine that some of us totally disagree with drugs, so don't get all defensive now that someone speaks out against them. ;)

I think the jury is out on how harmless cannabis actually is, so lets not get into that.

In terms of getting more creative, I don't believe in that, I agree with the others who have said you *think* you play better. In reality drugs and alcohol just dull your brain and mess with your motor skills. In very small quantities it may calm your nerves, so initially you might actually play better, but just a tad more in your system and the negative effects dominate.

Just my opinon of course, but backed by many studies.
  12. cannabis is super-fantastico. i love it. It's a wonderful, beautiful, awesome piece of goodness and i LOOOOOOVE my pot. mmm...orange crush...
    well, anyway...yeah, I get MUCH more creative at music when i'm baked. I play stoned frequently; I jam every weekend with my bro Aidan and what we'll do is jam for an hour or so, get some stuff down and semi-laid out, then toke up, and take what we already played and go on that for the next coupla hours. I don't play with my regular band stoned though; there isn't room for extreme improv and randomness there, and none of my band members smoke bud anyway. Me and my stoner/jammer pal play really well together, and we mesh even moreso after we smoke.
    Other drugs...it depends. On stuff like speed I just start playing fast punkesque stuff. I find an interesting result with a large amount of cannabis and then chugging half a bottle of gin:D I dislike alcohol, but in combination with pot, it can be pretty okay.
    Basically, pot is good for music. other stuff can be a little too extreme to let you focus on music. I'm already retarded, so if I'm too out of it I'll just get distracted by an ant or something and start following it around for the rest of the night.
    Man, it's posts like this that make everyone lose their already small amount of respect for me, huh?
    :p :p :p
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, as a user of the urban lettuce.... i would say, no. how the hell am i gonna play math metal stoned? maybe it expands your mind a little, but saying it helps your playing is like saying getting drunk helps your playing. LSD on the other hand, ....well..... lets just say, long live Leary.
  14. stoned and drunk are like apples and oranges, man. i like apples.:p
  15. cool? drummers?...what???
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

desk reference of experimenting in My Time, I can honestly say that nailing the tune is still the priority. I can't be professionally consistent, or creative artistically without a grasp of where my head is musically. That's just me, based on many years of playing experience.

Plus, every playing situation IS different.
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Drugs are for losers. I should know, I used to be one.
  18. Music recorded by people who are stoned (as opposed to written by stoners) tends to be enjoyable only by stoners.

This is why everyone loves the White Album, written under the influence but recorded clean, and only pothead Trustafarians give a rat's ass about anything that Bob Marley ever wrote.
  19. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    It comes to my attention that there are two types of drug users.

Those who just do the drug, and let it be. These people i don't mind. I will never touch any drugs ever in my life. But if someone else wants to, it's their life and their choice. If I don't know about it, it won't bother me

Then... Then there are these annoying as [FCC Censored] snot-nosed punks who think they are some hot-s**t because they smoke up. Honestly, everytime I hear someone brag, and/or tell a story about "Dude, I was so stoned this time..." and/or make any reference about how cool it is to do that crap it makes me want to punch someone. So WHAT if you got high over the weekend, do you want a freakin medal or something? Nobody on the planet besides you and all your little stoner friends give a crap about how high you were and what retarded things you've done while high.

If you want to do it, than just do it. Don't go around telling your stories. Nobody gives half a crap.

god some people annoy me :mad: