1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mind blown by MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ecadad, Nov 20, 2016.

1. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    I went to Guitar Center today to try out some basses. I've been battling whether to get a P Bass or a Jazz bass. I prefer jazz necks by far, but the P bass just has a certain tone that I always want, but the necks have always seemed way to big for my liking.

I walked in and played a MIM jazz bass. Great neck, love the feel. Solid tone. I played a squire jazz. Surprisingly similar to the MIM! But I can tell why one is more expensive. If I had to choose between those two I would take the MIM, but the Squire is solid (this surprised me).

Then I picked up a bass that I've been very curious about, the MIM P/J bass (not the active one). Awesome neck. Horrible tone (IMO). The P pickup was alright, but the Jazz pickup seemed pointless. I would never use it. I guess I can cross this bass off of my wishlist.

Tried a sunburst MIM P bass. It has that tone. Wow. For me, the tone of this MIM P bass was worlds above any of the jazzes I had tried. So much more versatile, it's the bass sound I hear in my head. And to my surprise, the neck wasn't bad. Not as comfy as the jazz neck, but not an issue. I wouldn't complain about the P neck, despite my past experiences (maybe it's because I'm used to Vintage Reissue P's, which have huuuge necks).

I picked up an American Standard P. Felt good, the neck felt like higher quality than the MIM (probably osmehting about the finish?). But my biggest shock was that the MIM P Bass sounded way better (and I mean way better) than the American P. Blind sound test I would pick the MIM over the American any day. I tried a second American P, same thing. The tone on the MIM P bass was unreal. I never would have thought that the Mexican bass would blow the much more expensive American one out of the water.

I tried the Jazzes again. It wasn't even worth comparing. I know what my next bass is.

Anyone else experience this? Is it just that specific P bass, or are all current MIM P basses incredible? I can't tell what it was!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The entire lineup of Fenders are great across the board.

3. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Sep 28, 2016
    Wichita Kansas
    Were the strings the same?

4. I don't care for the pickup in the American standards. Seems kinda scooped

5. ecadad

ecadad

Sep 4, 2011
    I was wondering that, but they were all pretty much brand new Fender strings. I wonder if the pickup was closer to the strings or something though?

6. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    Sounds like found a MIM gem and/or a bass that speaks to you. Go back and buy it - they are not all like that.

TonyP- likes this.