Mind-boggling here... help out..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jan 25, 2005.

1. a buddy of mine has a WT-800 into 2 4x10 eden XLT's that i've used from time to time when we play on the same bill. Rather than me bringing my GK/Ampeg rig he opts to bring his. Now every time i've used my MIA Fender Jazz V and he's got an Active Conklin GT-7. now, how come when he plays it sounds "louder and fuller" and when i play i end up fighting with the EQ and i've even had the speakers stop pushing sound, but the DI still plays out to the house. What causes that? I've never heard it happen to him while he plays through it. yet EVERY time i've tried his rig, about 4 tunes into it, i've lost all stage volume but it still comes out in the house. i usually turn the Gain down slightly and the sound comes back. just for like 1/2 a song though.. i RARELY have altered his settings but if i do it's ever so slightly.

any explanations? i'm not using this on a daliy basis or think i will own any Eden stuff, i was just curious if this was common or if the amp shuts the output down if it's overheating or something.
  2. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    I'm assuming your playing with your fingers. If so I think I might have the answer. There is nothing wrong with the rig. It's your technique. The reason you feel like you lose stage volume by the fourth song, is that your touch is too hard. I would imagine that you start to play harder and harder as you
    "feel" your stage volume going lower and lower. This is happening because all the amp is getting is string attack and not a real note. Try backing off of your touch a bit.

Hope this helps.
  3. you know, i thought of that. i am a finger player, but the speakers DROP OUT. completely out. i can stand next to this wall of speakers and hear nothing. yet, it comes out of the monitor and the house. like i said i might make a slight gain adjustment and within a few seconds it comes back.The only reason it makes me trip on it is because he's noticed it too, and it's never happened to him. is it something built into the Eden heads as protection or something? I know some older models had that feature and it would drop the signal completely if it it was being overdriven. or soemthing similar to that, i've never owned one.

BTW he's running an active bass, and mine's passive. totally wierd...
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I always use my own gear. If the gig is worth playing, its worth the effort of carrying my own gear to get my own tone. To me, anything less is just plain lazy . . .
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Maybe the battery in your bass?
  6. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Passive basses don't generally have batteries, except for show to keep guitarists from whining about your bass.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Are you using a separate DI? Or the DI on the amp? If it's a separate DI, check your cable going into the amp. If it's an onboard DI, then I think something is wrong somewhere that I can't quite put a finger on. Have to ponder on it for a minute.
  8. dude, no doubt. i'm talking convenience for a tight sitch or a party or something. this is very rare, maybe 3-4 times a year. i always use my own stuff..

My own tone... that was stolen from my car over a year ago.. still trying to get it back..

DWBass- Onboard DI.

am i mistaken about older Eden's shutting down the output to the speakers when being pushed too hard? He's had this for quite a few years so that might be the case as well. This was a problem with the Roadrunner right?? i could totally be wrong. I asked him about it last night and he does play with a lighter touch than me so i'm thinking his levels are too high for my playing style. oh well, no big deal... :smug:
  9. Whattup G!

Uh, yeah, the Edens (and SWR's and a few others) have protect circuits that automatically shut down the power section of the amp when it overheats. If dude's playing a GT-7, he's probably a technical player and doesn't beat his bass all to hell like you do. :bassist:

He's probably got his low end eq'd to compensate for his jazz touch, but when you start banging away, all that eq eats up gobs of the Eden's power and sooner or later it'll just quit on you. It happened to my SWR SM-900 quite a bit when I was playing with loud bands.

The thing to do is roll off the low end EQ more than you think you have to and let the PA fill the room with added bass. The other thing to do, if you know you're going to be playing through his rig, is bring a fan and face it directly at the amp. Should help to cool it down.

10. hahaha!! whatup!!! The rig belongs to Drew from Big Dame Hunters. I think you know who he is, he played with Wick for years and then with DI.. and you're right.. i do beat the hell out of my bass :D yeah he's got a lighter touch, and that would make sense. he's got that GT-7 converted to fretless and strung up starting at F#.... serious brown note action..
  11. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Are there separate inputs for active and passive basses on the amp? If so, that would be the only difference. Maybe a short circuit or cold solder joint at the input?
  12. ampeg66

Dec 29, 2002
    This sounds *exactly* like the protection circuit that shuts down the power amp when it gets too hot.

You're at least getting signal in and out of the preamp section, because it's still going to front of house (the signal has to go through at least part, and maybe all, of the preamp circuit before going out the DI - OK, I know, Captain Obvious here).

It sounds like the only thing shutting off is the power amp section, thus you get no volume from the speakers. It also sounds like it cycles back on as it cools off a bit, then repeats this off-on cycle as you continue to play.

It could definitely be just a matter of your two different styles taxing the amp in two different ways, even with the same eq. You know, all that stuff Mo'Phat says...

Just my two cents.