1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Minecraft. Oh lawdy this game is addictive.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Simo98, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Where can I start.. I've been playing it for a couple of weeks now with some friends, its damn good fun.

When my friends told me about it I thought it would be a bit of a snorefest, and that I would go back to playing CIV 5 after a try, boy was I wrong.

A basic discription is you mine, and you craft, just like the name says, however its so much fun its rediculious. Basically you are in a world of blocks, you can "mine them" into your inventory (using a variety of tools to speed up the process), where you can then craft them (into more tools) or place them back down where you wish. You can also craft other blocks to place back down, like fences and doors.

Now, the fun part is you can place as many of these blocks, whereever you want, and build absolutly massive things. Then go online or with friends and take that to a whole new scope.

You can also set up single player in a "Survival Mode" where monsters spawn and you can trap/fight/hide from them, thought ive not got much experience with this yet as you can't do it multiplayer (yet).

The game is still heavily underdevelopment only in its Alpha stage, but its amazing fun, and terribly terribly addictive, its like a time machine. When I first played it I was fumbling around for a good while (there is no tutorial/instructions, straight in the deep end) suddenly I check the time and its about 2am :eek:

Here is a fanmade trailer, pretty cool:

Anyone else play Minecraft here? Show us some pictures of what you have built :D:D

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  3. Never played it (yet ...) but you probably don't want to follow this guy's advice either :

4. I just started about a week ago. It's amazing!

5. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Guilty.

I don't have much to show, though. I lost my savegames not long ago. Lately, I've been trying to farm the hugest tree I could, to carve a tower out of it or something like that. Maybe just set it on fire.

I'm eagerly waiting the halloween update for the hell world and that new completely unfair enemy.

6. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    :smug:

Poor fella.

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Looks like FPS Dwarf Fortress.

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
  9. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I agree this game is so addictive that I have to stop playing it to practice bass.. lol

10. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Heres a couple of things:

A city built under water in glass domes:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately it looks much cooler from the outside due to the way the games lighting works. Took quite a while as I have to excavate all the room for the domes, build them, and then chop the roof out to flood the chambers.

And me and a friend built this one:
    [​IMG]

A Colosseum/stadium, 100 blocks in diameter, 20 high, starting construction on an undercroft tomorrow probably. I'lll take a few more screenshots of this one with my texture pack on later, cause it looks nicer :)

11. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I've played it a few times over at a friend's house, haven't gotten around to getting it for myself though. Kind of afraid to do so though, that game's WAY too addicting :ninja:.

12. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I am building a sky bridge.