Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mineworker Miracle in West-by-God

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Came downstairs to string one of my basses, turned on CNN and got the news. My prayers go out to the family of the one who didn't make it. Sago is about 2 hours from my town, right next to one of my favorite kayaking haunts.

I've got to admit that it was looking grim this evening.

W

2. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
  3. Huh? I hope you're kidding.

Thoughts and prayers to those affected.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's now playing on the radio as a very bad story for the media and for those directly involved - so people were told there were survivors and then had their hopes dashed - somehow worse if possible....:meh:

5. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Terrible news indeed. I heard the news on the radio this arvo, stating that there had been 12 survivors.
    Got home, turned on the Fox news channel an hour or so later, and they were reporting that the initial reports were false.
    I can only imagine how the families of the victims are feeling.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Just found out about the miscommunication. I went to bed right before they announced it. I hope the one that made it is in good health. Unfortunately, this is another tragedy in a long history of industrial disasters here.

7. I can't even imagine being told that somone I love who was involved in an accident is OK, only to have the news reversed later.

Those poor families. :(

Mike

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Thses things wouldn't happen if the media weren't so focused on being first and tried to be correct instead. Shame on them.

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Just to be clear, it was, I believe the mining management company that made the terrible error, and not the media. Sadly, they then did not correct the error for 2+ hours. The media reported what was told to them.

What an awful tragedy....

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

:(

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That some bystanders overheard the "12 and 1" and ran with it. Even the Governor's staff couldn't get confirmation that they were alive...when they were announcing that the miners would be reunited with their families in an hour. I'm not sure anyone is to blame. It just sounds like someone heard what they wanted (and had hoped beyond hope) to hear and let it out. From there it spread.

I can't imagine feeling such joy and such grief within the course of an hour. It's terrible. The Upshur county area is one of the most beautiful parts of the state, with tons of great mountain biking, kayaking, rock climbing and hiking. The people there are simple and hardworking. They have alot of state pride, that's evident from seeing CNN.

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    oh no!

:(

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Man, this whole story is so messed up. I left for work this morning thinking that one guy had died, and I really felt bad for that one guys family.

This really makes me mad. All of these media outlets are so desperate to be "first with the news" that they don't worry about making sure their story is 100% accurate to begin with. They must figure they can always go back later and correct any errors. That may be OK when they are reporting on the name of someones award winning dog.

-Mike

14. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Read Post #10. Unless someone knows otherwise, the Mining company made the error and gave it to the media. The media ran with what they were told by the folks in charge. The folks in charge made the horrible error, then compounded it by not correcting it. AFAIK.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Very well said.

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The media has its faults, but I'm not so quick to point blame there. According to one radio report, the mining company waited over an hour to release the bad news after it had been confirmed. Also, this same mining company has been cited for numerous safety violations. So, while I'm not ready to assign blame to anyone, I know where I'd look first.

17. My bad. That totally sucks.

18. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    A lot of newspapers are caught with their hands tied today.

Consider this. You head to your job as a copy editor at 5 p.m. Two hours after the daily news meeting, but that's beside the point.

You're told to keep an eye on a developing story as the wires move about the coal mine story.

By 11:30, it's deadline. Your paper is ready to print. This story has begun to move as a success story. Holding up the newspaper, at this point, is a minute-by-minute pressure situation. If it doesn't move by midnight, heads are rolling.

The news is good, and seems accurate based on sourcing of officials from the mine/city. You run with it.

You get your papers and proofread them one last time before your shift ends at 1:00 a.m. You head home.

One last copy editor is left in the paper at 2:00 a.m. He's there checking Web site content and dealing with the final edition of the newspaper, which runs to the city's metro area.

News of the retraction comes. You're lucky if, as one copy editor, you have the power to organize the back shop and get new negatives shot so you can plate and print new pages at that hour.

My newspaper was lucky. Before we left last night, we had the right story in final edition.

Others in my state were not so lucky.

Now, as for radio/T.V. media outlets, that "gotta have it first" game is incredibly important, and leads to big errors like running with bad information. Consider the reports of deaths/violence during Katrina. Everybody wants to get that kind of information out to protect anybody they can, and can end up doing so with iffy info. I have no excuses for those guys.

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I heard the "good" news last nite and thought "there must be a mistake!"...For 12 to have survived in that mine with lethal CO levels for that long was preposterous to me. Sadly, my suspicions were confirmed this morning, on my drive to work. I think the measured levels of CO yesterday when they got the air sample data were something on the order of 3-4000 ppm, the maximum level for humans is somewhere just above 400 ppm. Even allowing for the size of the mine, that concentration is lethal, especially knowing they only had an hour or so of "spare air" in their bottles. I am amazed the one miner made it out alive, circumstances what they were...last I hear this evening, they were trying to inflate his collapsed lung, and putting him on dialysis. My prayers go out to all those involved in this tragedy.

BTW, my GF is from West Virginia, though from the far western end of the state. It is beautiful there.

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I was up last night during the whole thing, someone overheard a garbled cell phone transmission and thought they were alive, everyone ran w/ it. The cell phone was being run through speakers in the office. The Mining co. did not announce it. They were told that was a false report but did not know how many were alive so did not announce anything till they had all the facts. That's why they delayed.
    The whole thing is very sad and screwed up. I feel for those people no matter how it happend.