Mingus Bassically Speaking

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Sep 22, 2005.

1. just wanted to drop a little Mingus praise and say that out of all the 100's of his tunes he composed and recorded, this one ranks right up there with my all time fav bass solo, this tune is so dark and haunting...his timing and phrasing are so slick... I wonder if sheet music exists for this one ? any of you cats ever attempt to play this ?

once I get a new comp i'm gettin' me some of that fancy shmancy "slow it down" software to start my own transcriptions I think winamp offers something to that effect
  2. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    What album is this on?
  3. The only place I know of it is the Complete Debut Recordings, there's 3 takes of it on there....there's always a short sampler on Amazon.com
  4. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    never heard it but ... hmmm ... my all time fav bass solo was "tensions". Mingus was pretty good, huh ;-)

There's a freeware program called "best practice" that slows down CD playback.

There's open source "audacity" for more control over mp3 and wavs

5. hey thanks for the tip......"Tensions" is definately badass, got that one in the car right now....
  6. Mingus is the man, his music is always popping up. Moanin' was used for a TV beer ad here in the UK. Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus, Mingus was pretty much the departure lounge for my discovery of Jazz.

On the other thing. I use Transcribe to slow down WAVs and MP3s. I think the web site is seventh-string. Something like that.