Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mingus' death

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by jmpiwonka, Dec 11, 2002.

1. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    is it true that when mingus died he was somewhere in south america at his beach house and the day he passed away a whole lot of whales beached themselves in front of his beach house.
    just heard it from someone and am curious if it is true.
    please don't make fun of me if it is not true.:D

2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    :D and if it's true ?

3. Well, it was in Acapulco, if memory serves (I know it was on the Pacific coast of Mexico), and there are lots of whales in that part of the world, so I wouldn't be surprised.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    He died on Jan 5, 1979, in Cuernavaca, Mexico.
    Don't know about the whales though.
    Charlie asked that his ashes be scattered in the River Ganges (India). (that's what Sue did)

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I don't know, but I head the same thing - Joni Mitchell wrote it in the liner notes for her album 'Mingus'.

Alex

6. Sue Mingus' new book "Tonight at Noon" has some amazing and very detailed accounts of Mingus' last months in mexico, and the unconventional treatments he was receiving for Lou Gehrigs disease. A very well put together book about Charles' personality and outlook.

7. Not exactly news, but I just picked up Mingus' Blues and Roots album. What a great, hard-swinging set.

(Yes, I said album. ;))

8. bootsaco

bootsaco

Sep 8, 2001
    Portland, ME
    i just read his biography "Myself when i am real" the writer does mention that in Joni Mitchell's "Mingus" album liner notes there is a clipping from a Mexican Newspaper of a story of 56 whales beaching themselves on the pacific coast of mexico on the day mingus died. who knows? there are stranger things that people regard as fact, wouldn't surprise me.
    andy

9. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    From what I understand, Mingus had worked on music specifically to be played on boats for the enjoyment of whales and whales would circle around when they played but whales are curious creatures. Apparently he died at 56 in Mexico and the same day he died 56 whales beached themselves on the shore. Who knows? Whales are very strange and intelligent in ways we don't understand. Make of it what you will.

10. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    This sounds like lermgalieu's sig, but: I like Mingus, and I like whales. They can't be that intelligent, though, if they're gonna beach themselves en masse for a dead bass player.

Mingus was a giant within his realm, but I'll bet he'd advise the whales to get a life, literally.

11. Keech

Keech

Oct 16, 2003
    All in your head
    Whales are strange in their intelligence. I've watched whales and dolphins in the 4 years I spent on the ocean. They're fish in a way but also very human. The dolphins pass the ship on both sides with the exact same movement of leaping in and out of the water. Sometimes they turn and quack at you and you know that they're calling out hello. They rub up against the sonar domes because it attracts them.

Whales like to smack their tails on the water and it is loud! They have been known to beach themselves in large numbers when what must be a venerated old member is near death. They'll stay with him and get beached themselves. That's what makes the Mingus story, if true, so odd. It's like they attended his death in true whale fashion by accompanying him.

12. They can't be that intelligent, though, if they're gonna beach themselves en masse for a dead bass player.

Damon, I LOVE IT!!!
    [/B][/QUOTE]