mingus downloads anybody?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Mar 13, 2003.

1. yah, so hey, it's the stolen gear guy, but i will not be defeated...!!! i've done some searches, and i'm trying to find some free mingus downloads.. if anybody can help me that would be way cool... i'm not a jazz player but recently i heard some way out stuff.. can anybody help?

muchos garcias..
  2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK

Or, in this case, Recordings, actually.
  3. so call me naive? but what's with the billboard? i didn't know were to start so i figured this was the right forum....
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Heh, don't worry about it! :)

I just post that graphic when someone posts something music related in OT (happens often enough).

Apparently, there aren't any OT mods online at the mo (this is why we need European etc. ones :)) - but I'm sure one will be along soon enough to take it over to Recordings.

As for Mingus downloads - I don't know of anywhere you could get any other than Kazaa et al. I can recommend his album "Mingus Ah Um", though. Good stuff, and quite user friendly.
  5. right on!! i'm having a hard time finding the stuff without having to buy it.. no gripes to the music biz, much respect to where credit is given due. people work long and hard for that. i love to pay and support all musicians don't get me wrong....!! thanks!
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Check out Emusic.com - they've got a fair selection of Mingus and his peers. You can get up to 50 downloads on their free trial and you may decide (like I did) that $9.99 a month for a minimum of one year is a reasonable investment.

Me? I've just finished listening to a compilation of Tito Puente tracks I grabbed this morning since I'm trying to develop my understanding of 'Latin Jazz'.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My band plays "Ran Kan Kan" "Oye Como Va" (of course) and "Fiesta a la King" which is a nice tune.

If you're looking for bass solos in a Cuban style - try "Ode to Cachao" - which is obviously a tribute to the great Cuban bassist.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Moving on baby!
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I would have put money on it being Odie to get here first and move it!

Why is that... are you in a different timezone to Turner & 'Bo so you get here earlier?