Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mingus I Am Three

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Marc Decho, Jul 22, 2005.

1. anybody heard the new Mingus Orchestra/Dynasty album yet ? I heard some clips on the site http://www.mingusmingusmingus.com/main/main.htm i'd like to hear some more of what these guys did with his arrangements....anybody seen these guys live yet ? i'm sure some of you lucky NYC cats have a few times.....if so how do the bass players make out under such heavy pressure ?.....damn I miss that guy!.....why can't there be anybody with balls like that anymore ? i'm going to go rent Mingus 1964 after work ....miss ya big guy!

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I've seen them twice. They're a great big band, fantastic players. I saw John Hicks, Adam Cruz, Andy McKee, John Stubblefield, etc. But the sound is not remotely like Mingus (but then again the point is to play his compositions, not to copy the sound).

3. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    I wish there was more people playing jazz with the force mingus had too.
    Alot of stuff sound very academic perfect to me now.
    I am tired of safe II- V I
    I guess that has all to do with that time we live in.
    Everything is PLASTIC.

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    OT, yeah, I agree.

5. Rob Palmer

Rob Palmer

Aug 29, 2005
    Suffolk, UK
    I have seen the MBB twice, once at the Brecon Jazz festival when I was thrilled at the REAL sound of Randy Brecker's horn. The other time (the first) I was playing at the Vienne Jazz Festival in France (near Lyon) and was given tickets to see the Vanguard Orchestra followed by the MBB. The Vanguard band were fantastic; tight, musical, professional quality big band music. Totally flawless. Then the MBB came on and were raggy, loose and INCREDIBLE. They blew the Vanguard band off the stage. It was a real lesson for me about the value of music as expression rather than music as mathematics. The energy of the MBB was overwhelming. :hyper: I recall Kenny Drew Junor was there, as was R. Brecker. I am struggling to recall who else was in the band (it was July 1994) but, if you get the chance, go for it. You won't regret it.

Rob