1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mingus in Detroit

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by LouisF, Nov 10, 2018.

1. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    I was at Strata for this gig. Definitely a "large gesture" band. The excitement was palpable, but on a recording it might seem a little over the top and off the mark. I feel the same way about the "Night of the Cookers." I bet if you were there it was a memorable experience, the recording, not so much. I think Mingus was incredibly generous in his later years. He really let the guys in his bands roll, and the results were thrilling. It's hard to capture that on a recording. I feel the same way about the Don Pullen Cameron Brown George Adams Danny Richmond band. The recordings don't really do them justice. You had to be there.

oliebrice, Winoman, Selim and 2 others like this.
  2. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    And how fortunate you were! Thanks
    Louis

3. lurk

lurk

Dec 2, 2009
    Just old. Giants walked the earth, and I didn't have to spend 2 of my gig's pay to hear them.

4. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    I was, too. That was a nice band.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Winoman and lurk like this.
  5. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

Jan 1, 2010
    Winoman likes this.