Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mingus, Mingus, Mingus etc

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Howard K, Jun 6, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I just bought & watched Bullit on DVD, am I mistaken or is it Charles Mingus playing in the restaurant where Bullit goes to eat?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's many years since I've seen the film, but I do have the soundtrack album and I'm sure it mentions Ray Brown as being the Double Bass player - shouldn't this be in DB-land rather than BG!!???

(of course Carol Kaye played the famous picked bass line that appeared on the car advert etc.)

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yes, you're right, but I'm scared.

I just bought mingus, mingus blah blah blah the other day and the guy in the film looked like the pic from the inside cover.

There must be somewhere on the web where I can find out, i shall investigate.

The music in the film is great.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    hmm, well i couldnt find any connection on allmusicguide.com or allmovieguide.com. so i guess it's not him.

i'll have to read the credits (lazy bugger that i am).

Sorry for upsetting the balance with a DB question peeps.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Here's some pics of Ray Brown :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Could it have been him?

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yeah, could have been... probably was. Double bass players all look the same to me!

Either way the bass was damned cool.

:)

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Hmm, you know I'm not sure now! I'll check the credits tonight and post in the morning.

Either way the bass was damned cool.

:)

8. It is Ray Brown

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Cheers.

It's very cool bass. Must get some Ray Brown!

10. Bruce Lindfield

Ray Brown can be heard playing the bass on over 2000 recordings, which makes him one of the most recorded artists in music history!!

11. Has he passed Milt Hinton yet? Is Ron Carter likely to pass either of them?

More importantly, do y'all think that Christian McBride will end up passing everyone? I mean, he's got a pretty huge discography for a guy who just turned 30...