Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mingus / Mitchel question.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dudemeister, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Yo,
    I recently purchased the Joni Mitchel and Charles Mingus CD and found to my surprise that both Jaco Pastorius and Stanley Clarke play on it along with alot of other great musicians (magicians...) such as John McLoughlin, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and so on.

Does anybody know which bassplayer (and other muscians to) plays on the different songs, 'cos it doesn't say in the booklet?

Thanks!

2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Jaco is the one playing the fretless bass. Stanley Clarke is on that record? I haven't had a copy fer years but I thought is was all Jaco. Anyhow The Fuq is right that you oughta be able to hear the diff between two (the two?) major invative solo voices on the bass guitar. Listen to the Pastorius cd "Jaco" and the "School Days" from Clarke and all will become obvious to you.

3. I'm looking at the LP (CD's are evil) and there's TWO artists listings...

Eddie Gomez
    John Guerin
    Phil Woods
    Gerry Mulligan
    Danny Richmond
    Tony Williams
    John McLaughlin
    Jam Hammer
    Stanley Clark (i know it's Clarke but it is written like that)

AND

Joni Mitchell
    Jaco Pastorius
    Wayne Shorter
    Herbie Hancock
    Peter Erskine
    Don Alias
    Emil Richards
    Wolves (?)

I only got it yesterday so i haven't been able to listen to it straight through...but what's going on? :confused:

4. Well, I know how Jaco sounds but I too got confused by the two artist listings.
    I haven't listened to much to Clarke yet so I can't really tell his caracteristic playing style.
    Jaco plays at least on te last two song. Does Clarke play any fretless on this record?
    I've never heard of the Gomez guy so I haven't got a clue of how he sounds...
    The record is really good though. Joni Mitchells singing is excellent!

5. By the way, the wolves can be heard howling in the background of one song. I can't remember which.
    I think it's quite funny to have them in the artist listings...

6. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Um...Ed?
    Can I point and laugh now?

7. 'Ey,
    stop picking at me! I am very sorry I don't know who he is.
    I haven't been interested in who plays bass on different records 'till some months ago.
    The only thing I've heard with Clarke is his slapstuff, so I can't tell how a bass player who I've only heard slapping plays fretless, but since you know how to do, please tell me...
    Have I started "Harass the talkbass-rookie" post or have I just done some thing to offend someone sensetive?

8. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Yep:D
    But you're doin' good asking questions.
    It's no big secret that the only way to know who someone is by hearing them is to listen and PAY ATTENTION while you are.
    (Actually if you aren't paying attention it isn't really listening and it's surprising how many people who think they are really aren't but that's a whole 'nother isssue...)

Eddie Gomez recordings to listen to:
    Three Quartets - Chick Corea
    Intuition - Bill Evans

Not everyone likes him but noone will argue that he's one of the distinctive voices of the last thirty years on the upright bass.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "OK", I have the LP in my hands-
    Inside the first sleeve(yes, FIRST sleeve!), Joni wishes to thank the following for helping in her "search"-
    Eddie Gomez, John Guerin, Phil Woods, Gerry Mulligan, Danny Richmond, Tony Williams, John McLaughlin, Jan Hammer, & Stanley Clark(sic).

Now, IMO & after all these years, Jaco was the only bassist on this Mingus record...that's not to say the others weren't involved in the making & even the recording of this disc. I believe some tracks were omitted(like the ones with McLaughlin & Tony...I think I've read somewhere that their cuts didn't make the FINAL cut). So, the personnel as stated on the last page-
    Mitchell, Jaco, Shorter, Hancock, Erskine, Alias, Emil Richards, & wolves is who is on the record.
    ...I think! ;)

Which, BTW, a box set of this session with all the above edited stuff as BONUS CUTS would be killer(IMO).

Anyone see that photo of Jaco & Herbie in the Jan 2002 Bass Player? Chrissakes, Jaco looks like a little kid standing there next to Hancock! Unbelievable!

...and, Three Quartets with Gomez, Corea, Gadd, & Brecker is outstanding! I especially dig the Ellington tribute & then BAM! the Coltrane tribute! Awesome stuff(especially if you like the early ACOUSTIC vibe of Steps Ahead...another Gomez gem is Steps' Smokin' In The Pit).

10. makes sense Jim...it all sounds too "Jacoesque", no sign of clarke...

11. Yes,
    I looked it up in the booklet to the CD. The first list is only people who've given her inspiration and stuff. That's the explanation to why I couldn't tell the differance between Clarke and Pastorius - there wasn't any Clarke!
    Hehe I am no idiot after all...

...at least not at that point. ;)