Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mingus. recommendations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Mar 22, 2002.

1. so, the new ish of BP has piqued my interest in Mingus. where should i start? is the ken burns comp decent? "money jungle" seems kind of intriguing, but i'd like to know what you guys like.

2. Buy Mingus Ah Um and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Both are priceless.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    "Mingus Ah Um" is the best CD to get first.

4. i just read about "Ah Um" at amazon.com and it does indeed seem to be the best place to start.. "black saint..." does seem REALLY interesting though.

5. Ah Um's 'partner' record, Mingus Dynasty is also an excellent album.

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Along with "Ah Um," I would also reccomend "Blues and Roots" and "The Clown."

7. I have been listening to Money Jungle and Dynasty lately but Revenge is probally my favorite.

8. If you want to get a very general overview of Mingus, theres is a Ken Burns best of CD out there that's pretty good.

9. "Ah Um" is a must own CD, IMO. I also really like "Blues and Roots".

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I really like BOTH the Changes 1 & Changes 2 albums...great band, great playing by all, great arranging, blahblah. BTW, Don Pullen's in this group, too! The Ellington influence is all there!

Mingus At Antibes is another must-have.
    Eric Dolphy & Ted Curson are the frontline...really, ya can't go wrong with anything with BOTH Mingus & Dolphy(or, for that matter, Coltrane & Dolphy).

BTW, BMG or ColumbiaHouse has the 3-cd set of Ah Um, Dynasty, & Alteranate Takes available...wait for one of their 70% off deals & pick all 3 up for the price of a regularly priced single disc.

I also like Money Jungle...though I've read somewhere that Mingus wasn't too thrilled with Roach. Anyone know those details? Historians? Ed? Chris?

Looks like one of these days, I'm gonna have to pick up Black Saint & The Sinner Lady...

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Have to echo Ah Um and Black Saint. Also Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, on Impulse.

Personally, I also dig some of the later stuff: Changes One and Two (w/ George Adams, Don Pullen, and Jack Walrath), Cumbia & Jazz Fusion, and Let My Children Hear Music (bigger band).

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    KungFu-
    Sometimes I get the sense you're not too, too thrilled with Mingus "the Bassist"...
    Would you agree/disagree he was one of the first virtuosos of "Jazz bass"? Did he turn things 'up a notch' for his contemporaries?

BTW, I forgot to mention thatThe Complete Tijuana Moods is also available at BMG(mine's in the mail). ;)

13. The rumor I read was that he was very nervous playing with his hero Duke Ellington.

I also wouldn't label Mingus as the be all end all of DB players . . . that would be Pettiford.
    :D

14. I got "Blues and Roots" and its still one of my fave jazz albums (next to Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane) But, I suppose I should check out "Ah um" thanks for the heads up fellas

15. Mingus Ah Um is a damn good cd, I like the trombone...not very common with his contemporaries (like Miles and Coltrane).

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999