Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mingus songs

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by no_poetic_devic, Jan 7, 2003.

1. I've recently been listening to mingus a lot and i'm interested in hearing his solos.
    Does he have any songs with good solos in them?

2. Originally posted by no_poetic_devic

I've recently been listening to mingus a lot and i'm interested in hearing his solos.
    Does he have any songs with good solos in them?

Hatian Fight Song is a good example. Great song overall.

3. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    theres a great live recording on which he plays an incredible 15 minutes or so duet with Eric Dolphy on bass clarinet, which as an amazing solo. I'll post more details when I have the tape to hand.
    I think there is a Dolphy/Mingus duet on "Charlie Mingus presents Charlie Mingus" as well.

4. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    check out his solo on "a foggy day" i really like that one. i also like on "stella by starlight". i like these solos cause they dont sound like bass player solos. also there is a cool one on "All the things you are" at the town hall concert. when originally recorded the bass level was too low, so he went back and overdubbed, so there are two solos, one is really quiet. but if you listen close there are some great spots where its like hes doing question and answer with himself.

5. What disk is Stella on? Also, I think the "All the Things..." you mentioned is on the famous Massey Hall concert recording, not either of the Town Hall recordings.

There are a number of great solos on the _Blues and Roots_ album. My favorite is "Tensions" on which he plays two, one as a freeish intro thing, then another on the tune. There's a great rhythm changes solo on "Parkeriana", on the _Revenge_ set that you gotta check out too.

After you transcribe these and start playing them, remember he used only the first finger of his right hand for everything.

6. OIL PRICE:
    The cut You talkin bout is called "What Love", I have it in one cheapo collection, but can´t recall the name of the original recording. A live performance. Always thought it was hilarious, but more like a dogfight, not as a great solo....

R2

7. aaguudis

aaguudis

Apr 3, 2001
    Portland
    i dont know about stella, i just downloaded it off kazaa. maybe its not even him, they always mislabel stuff on there. yes i did mean massey hall. i knew there was a "hall" in there somewhere.

After you transcribe these and start playing them, remember he used only the first finger of his right hand for everything. [/B][/QUOTE]

is this true? i have watched him do some cool stuff making his wrist flutter to play really fast...