1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mini Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Correlli, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Squier, Mayones, Kala, and Tiny Boy are producing mini basses. And maybe others I haven't heard of. Love it or hate it, is Small the new Big trend in bass guitars? Got to admit, I'm starting GAS for a mini bass.

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Definitely want to buy one to teach the kids.
    Not one of the $1,000 ones, but...

imabuddha and Correlli like this.
  3. I just saw your thread after I started the my thread.

jd56hawk likes this.
  4. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    How does that even WORK? ( I mean using the STEEL strings...) ???...some sort of baritone tuning?

I had an Ashbory bass for a while, and it was fine... but that was silicone!

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    https://www.mauriziouberbasses.com/uc
    Check this brand out.
    Out of Malaysia, I think.
    I have a Miezo coming soon, so I'll keep everyone posted.
    But the thing that caught my eye is the prices! ~$450 for a 4 string 16" minibass? Yes please!!

6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i have 2 ibanez mikros, a squier mini precision and a smallguitars.com MB2 (24.75" scale). i also owned a ubass, which i now wish i hadn't sold, but i didn't realize there were steel wound strings available for it, and the rubbery strings drove me crazy. i also have a 19" scale no-name bass uke in the closet.

you can order custom steel rounds from newtonestrings.com or tapewounds from pyramid - both do any length strings you like. i have a newtone set on my MB2.

btw, for lots more sub-short scale basses
    Sub-Short Scale Talk

SBassman, MakoMan, G19Tony and 2 others like this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I really like the look of these.
    FB-IMG-1603517143434.jpg

8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    pcake likes this.
  10. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

There is a long thread about sub-short scale basses that includes pretty much every one being mentioned, click: Sub-Short Scale Talk. I only play 22 to 25" scale basses, having started with my seniors uke group over 6 years ago. I now have 30 of them, which @pcake has been over to see.

Bass Collection.jpg wall pano 1024.jpg

Pazelaya93, zontar, mikeGJ and 19 others like this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Thanks.
    Just checked this one out from Rondo.
    Might be just what I want.
    ukbe22tbl331.jpg

12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    You know what they say about guys with mini basses :woot:

They have mini cases:roflmao:

Get your minds out the gutter..:smug:

13. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

I've got a Fame M-03 mini with a 20.5" scale and steel strings. It's tuned ADGC. 38mm nut, 19mm string spacing.
    bass tinkerbell fame m-03.jpg
    bass tinkerbell BH1.jpg

DJ Bebop, Ghastly, G19Tony and 4 others like this.
  14. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Who's mind is the gutter? Not me.

pcake and Kukulkan61 like this.
  15. My wife is a guitarist but she bought a U-bass because a ‘normal’ bass is too big for her hands. The sound from the U-bass is remarkably loud and deep. It certainly fulfils a niche area for her.

As an aside, she has the steel string version, not the rubber string version.

jd56hawk and kohanmike like this.
  16. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Just curious: besides using it as a travel and maybe couch bass or child bass what reason is there to buy a mini bass?

And what type of strings does it need in order be not too flubby and still playin E tuning?

17. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Hobbits! :)

SDC1-ClickClack and pcake like this.
  18. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    omg - kohanmike's bass room made me feel like i had gone to short scale heaven - it was amazing!!! and he customizes many of them so they're literally one-of-a-kind basses.

i can't stand and play any bass over 5 pounds due to shoulder injuries, and we have a number of players here with neck and back problems that find these smaller basses are generally under 5 pounds, which allows us to play where we otherwise couldn't. they're also good for those with arthritis or tendonitis in the elbows, wrists or hands because a smaller bass means less stretching of all those areas.

and yes, they make awesome travel and couch basses :)

i play my 24.75" scale bass in standard tuning with standard strings. you can always up the gauges of the strings if you want them to be less floppy.

68Tele-Bass, Barticus, Mekana and 7 others like this.
  19. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    I have to admit that not only are these mini basses extremely cute, but they also sound great. I'm curious to know how they sound with a piccolo tuning.

20. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I guess you can bend three halve steps or so then with those flubby strings?

Can you also use them for slapping?
    And is the spacing on the highest frets not becoming too tight?

Tim Skaggs likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020