Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mini Buyers Guide for Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 27, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    OK guys, ive seen alot of "What is the best amp for $x" and not many replies. Obviously the people starting these threds arent happy with the lack of replies.

So what ive decided to do, is to get a list of all the decent new amps, combo's, heads and cabs, get their prices, in $US, $AUD, pounds and euros (and any other significant money form) and put them onto a table. Ill attach it to a post, and ill stick the new thread at the top, where all the newbies )or people wanting new gear) can see whats the best for them. It'll probably be in an Excel spreadsheet.

What do you guys think?

PS im sticking this one and letting my other newbie one float away :D

2. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    good plan

i know i wish i had someone or somewhere to go when i was first picking out my stuff

go for it

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think it sounds like a great idea!:D

4. Not wanting to seem like I'm advertising (although it seems it) www.gak.co.uk are easily the cheapest supplier in the UK. They don't do some favourites, like Ashdown, SWR or Mesa, but those they do stock I'm pretty sure they make no profit on.

5. Good idea, but I still dont think you should throw that typical TB moderator BS "check the FAQs and Run a Search" at us which seems to be the issue after every FAQs or sticky has been posted. THis is the amps forum and if you decide that to be the case, atleast leave the thread open and don't close it. Let people respond.

Sorry, that may have been harsh;)...

6. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah, if i do that ill leave the thread stuck, and open so we ( notduanne and I) can take all of your thoughts into mind :D

7. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Heres the Excel file, already for me to fill in. if you think you can make some improvements, do them and send them back to me :D

8. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    IMO the problem is there are people on these forums that use everything under the sun for gear. We are not supposed to say anything sux or is a bad peice of gear because (1 it may offend present users(2 you can bet your house somebody is using it right now saying what a wonderful peice of gear it is. Now I know there are people that will not say anything is crap becaused those offended will start a flame war so its easier to say nothing at all.

Outside of the above there is also many different musical tastes and styles going on by all the players on these forums and no 2 are exactly alike. Sound is so objective that what sounds great to you may be crap to me. Normaly (but not always) if I say something is bad or is crap its for construction or customer service or something of that sort only because whats good to me might not be good for you.

Also how do classify gear, by sound ? By price? portability/weight? ease of use? resale value? availability ? efficiency ? reliability? will it work for upright also? how does it sound with an ABG? how much power ? and many more im sure I missed.

Each person will have different set of priorities and as such will choose differently or at least approach the selection differently because of those priorties.

So asking what seems to be a simple question sometimes is more complex than what one may think. I say this so some of the new guys dont get upset when they dont get many replies to their questions when many people have seen those same questions here many times before. Also being asked to run a search is not a copout or a hack on someone, it is there for a reason and there is much knowledge to be gained from the prevoius experience of others.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Why Excel? An HTML table (possibly generated from Excel) would be better as I think any one who can use TB is likely to have a browser that can cope with tables.

Also, I can see price being problematic - how can you be sure people are giving a list price and not some special deal available from their local store? Would you put a date and source with the prices to give the user some indication of the how valid the data is for comparison?

Wulf

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Is this some kind of joke? People in here say something sucks all the time. But always remember this: "Just because something sucks doesn't mean that something else doesn't, Beavis."

11. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I agree with Munji here.
    The Eden lover he is, he himself says the Mesa 'sound' sucks.
    And The Mesa lover I am, I say the Eden 'sound' sucks.

It's all opinions.

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Kirbywrx,

The prices in EUR have sense only for EU players.

If you wish, I can help you raise this list, with the general prices found in EU.

Feel free to PM or email me if you want my help in this project.

All the best,

13. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    No. Both suck. That's the absolute truth, and that shall not be contested.

(just kiddin', of course)

;)

14. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Id appreciate anyones help.

Im not a professional computist, and i just made that table as and example or what i think would be a good idea. If anyone thinks they can do a good job, fix up the table, set it out how you think it would be most efficient, and email it back to me. :D

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes, but it happens in this case that your opinion, of course, is wrong.

16. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    jaylanb put my idea in a good way. dont think of it as a way for people to express their opinion, saying yay or nay, if they want that, they can start a thread. but this is more like a buyers guide. If people want to see what is what for how much, they can have a look at it, and then if they feel like thats the way to go, they may start a thread about the gear they have in mind, or even go right out and buy it.

here is the table jaylanb made. This will be the the table that all the information goes into.

All i need now is for people to suggest what they think should go in there! So cmon guys, what do you think should be in there?

17. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    jaylanb is off to a good start, but I think it should be a little more informative. For instance, for people in the US, we could get prices for a lot of stuff at Musician's Friend, just as an initial benchmark. So an excel layout of all possible heads/cabs/combos would be good, but in a way, it wouldn't present a lot of new stuff. Another thing to consider would be possible amp/head combinations that have either been 1) done before by someone at talkbass (maybe include references? volunteer basis, of course) 2) still very possible (ie to answer "can amp X run cab Y?"). Then organize the head/cab matches by price... you'd probably start at 700 or so (ie used Hartke head + new avatar cab) and move up.

Another idea just occured to me: color coding. Continue what jaylanb has started, but color code the head/cab combinations that would work... though I'm not sure how the colors would overlap, since something like an Avatar could be run by a lot of heads, but a Hartke cab is rated much lower. Start with primary colors and move up? :confused: I dunno. I guess that's my 2 cents... PM me if there's something you'd want me to help out with.

18. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I will, thanks for all your help man!

19. You can ignore this post.
    You said "I need you all" and I can see that I am not needed. You got my hopes up and then I find you lied to me and now I am sad. I thought I could trust the title. Now I must go and be comforted by:
    <-- (see pic.)
    so I guess I thank you
    Again: You can ignore this post.

20. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Some SWR Stuff added