1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mini cabinets with Massive tube amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pantsman, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Hey everyone, I've seen waaay to many mini rigs lately and want one myself. I already have an 810 and 300 watts of tubes so that will cover all my gigs, but when I practise at home and at low volumes or smaller gigs I want a pair of small light cabs.

I'm pretty much set on either a pair of 112 or 115 cabs, I'm wanting to spend AU$1500 each or maybe a little more at a stretch. But whats making it hard for me to decide is I want to use my 300 watt tube amp with these cabs, I don't know if I should stick with sealed cabinets or try ported?

Edit: I'm also interested in other smaller cabinets like the Acme B-2 and Accugroove

2. Go have a look at the music store in Paddington, they have a good range of cabs.
    I would personaly go with a 210 instead of 112 or 115.

3. Unfortunately I don't live in Brisbane atm, never bothered to change my sig. But I will visit there soon, which store is the one you mentioned? I know a few but not one in Paddington. I'd really like to try cabs with my amp and bass too, so i'd have to make a day of it and hire a car.

4. i'd go for a 112 atleast to be honest a 210 just isn't going to be able to handle the lows a big tube amp can put out ;<

5. thats what I felt, a pair of larger drivers would fair better with a big tube amp. Been looking at Epifani, Schroeder, Accugroove, GK and Aguilar but wouldn't be able to try any of it, unless its in stock somewhere in Brisbane.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I use 2 EA CXL112's with my Mesa Boogie 400+ and Trace Elliot v6 and they are amazing, louder and deeper sounding than my Ashdown ABM 8x10 and you can carry one in each hand

7. I didn't even think of EA!! Its good to hear your comparison to your 810, I was fearing that I'd miss 'something' when not using my 810 :ninja:

8. Checkout the Bergantino AE series lightweight cabs. Probably the only Neodymium cabs which will matchup well with Tube amps because of the very tight, controllable lows that these cabs put out. A stack of 112s, 210s or even a single AE410 cab which I have, and is ridiculously light, will do rehearsals and gigs.

Other TB'ers like Joker or Tom Bowlus say that the Bergantino HS210 or 410 cabs are the best cabs for Tube heads and from what I remember when testing them out, they weren't too bad to lift as well.

Regarding, the EA CXL112 they may be good but I read somewhere that a stack of the Wizzy 12" M-Line is even better and light as well. From memory again I think it was Tom Bowlus. He might see this and confirm.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, I have used the M-line Wizzy with several tube amps, and it really sounds great. The Berg HS line is also quite nice with tube power, and if you can find a Sadowsky brand 2x10 or 4x10, they are really ideal with tube amps. Phil Jones cabs are also just glorious with tube power.

Tom.

10. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Give the Bag End 1x12 or 1x15 a try - they have a tight, punchy low end that works well with tube power.

11. From a few other threads I've posted in and from some of the reading I've done I've narrowed down my favourites to EA 112, Epifani UL 310 or Berg HS210. I know they are 3 very different cabinets but I'm just looking for a good cabinet, don't care which kind of good :D