1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mini CMD 121P in Canada. HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matheo, Sep 10, 2008.

1. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    Hi everybody,

I plan on purchasing a good combo amp in a couple of days and I need help to fix my choice. First, I live in Quebec, Canada and I'd like to know if you would pay around 1100$ for a Mini CMD 121P from Markbass.

This is the price I found on lamusic.ca and, for the moment, the best one.

I was also looking at the Walkabout but it is too expensive for me. The dealer here in Quebec City is asking 1650$ CAN for the 15" one. There is no other place I can find one, except Ebay. Found one at 966$ CAN before shipping and brokage fees so it comes around the same price as the CMD 121P with the shipping. The problem: it's used and I'm not sure about the quality of the amp at this moment. All I have are pictures and a description saying it's in great condition...

What do you recommend? My budget is MAXIMUM 1200$ CAN for the combo.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Mathieu

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I recommend taking a chance on the used one. Markbass amps are built pretty solid. Very few people report failures.

3. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    The used one is the Walkabout from Mesa. Maybe I wasn't clear in my explanation. Sorry :)

So would you recommend a used Mesa Walkabout or a new Markbass Mini CMD 121P?

4. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    ClubBass in Toronto lists that combo at $1099. Have you talked with them? Great store, great folks.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    No, you were clear. I just have poor comprehension.

I love the Mini CMD121P and bought one 30 seconds after I played it. Never tried the Walkabout but those who have report good things.

6. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    Thanks for the info. The price is the same with lamusic and they have free shipping with the order. I might look at this store as well :)

7. matheo

matheo

Nov 5, 2006
    Ok, I guess I'll go with that one. I prefer to buy new instead of used. I listened to the Walkabout at a local store and was really impressed. Now, I read a lot of reviews concerning the Mini CDM 121P, includind yours, and I cannot see why I'd be disappointed with a combo at around 1100$!

Does it have a lot of bottom? Thanks Jimmy for your help

8. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Have you checked if Italmelodies in Montreal have one in stock? They are a Mark Bass dealer.

It's a great store, with the best bass section in town. They already have Lakland, recently got Aguilar and will get Musicman soon too.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It has a very good amount of bottom for a single 12" cab in a very small package and sounds great in a mix. Don't expect it to perform miracles, though. It's a single 12" in a small package.

10. Dave at Club Bass is a great guy. He ships stuff all over Canada and gets great customer feedback. I highly recommend going to him if you're looking at Markbass.

11. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Walkabout and the Markbass are very different sounding combos. My preference is the Walkabout which I used for 4 years on a lot of gigs. The best bass sound I've been able to get from a combo. But, you've heard it. Doesn't Steve's Music sell the Walkabout new? I know L&M is a dealer but they don't have stores out your way.

If you go with the Markbass new, pay a few bucks extra and buy from Club Bass. He's a stand up guy.

12. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I bought mine from LMQ and list was $1095.00. Use it every weekend in a rock cover band and love it.

13. Club Bass rules!:bassist:

14. I purchased my CMD102P from Club Bass, never felt like I was welcome to try the bass's but nice guy to purchase from and willing to answer questions.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I wonder why?! I saw you the day you went in there. I wouldn't have let you change the oil in my truck. Finger nails all dirty scruffly clothes. What were you thinking?:eek::)

16. I would check that again! Many US operations offer free shipping but to US addresses only. Add to that import duties and that's another 14% or so.

Paul

17. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    LaMusic is in Ontario, not the US. Can't comment on the free shipping policy.

18. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I'm been very impressed by the CMD121 that I went out and got two of them. I tried the walkabout which does sound good but it's heavy (50lbs but feels heavier) and I can get more volume from the CMD121P (29lbs). The CMD121 is 300 into 8ohm while the Walkabout I believe is 350 into 4ohm. I used two of them on a loud gig two weeks ago and had the volume set at only 1 o'clock and the two of them were just as loud as my former SWR SM900 with Epifani UL210 cab. I didn't want to over push them but I didn't have to.

19. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I've tried both combos, and though I love MarkBass and the LMII (which is the head in that combo) I'd definitely buy the walkabout over the 121p. It has way more balls. Tonally its a toss up and very subjective, but in terms of power you can easily get away with the walkabout on gigs. I was underwhelmed with the power of the 121p and for my needs I'd definitely have to add an extension. Personally, I'd forgo the combo in favour of a small 210 and head (LMII). Then later you can add a second cab and have everything you need in terms of volume, portability, versatility and great tone. You can buy a used LMII here on TB for about $500 and still have lots left to buy a really nice cab like a Berg, Epi etc

Just my .02

20. OOpps!!! thought he meant LA Music as in Los Angeles!

Paul