Mini-Disc > computer> CD HOW????????

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by markG, Mar 3, 2003.

1. markG

May 26, 2000
    I have some recordings of that I made with my minidisc that I would like to put on cd. I have a sony MZ-N707 and I have been trying to figure out a way to get the music onto my computer so I can put
    it on cd. If anyone knows how to do this pleace help.
  2. I'm not familiar with that particular model of mini disk, but you should be able to go from the audio outputs on the mini-disc player (probably phono connections) straight into the computer, depending what setup you have on your computer. If you just have a standard soundcard for example with one line in input, get a stereo phono to mini-jack lead and plug this into your line in input on your soundcard. You'll can then record onto Windows sound recorder if you want, making sure that when you record you select the 'line in' on your computer's record control function (see the little speaker icon in the bottom right of the computer, double click it and then go to options, then properties, then recording properties and select line in). However, you could also try to get hold of some free audio software that you should be able to record onto, such as Protools Free (, this will be better than using sound recorder. Obviously once you get it into the computer you can just burn it onto a CD from there.
  3. It all depends on how good of quality you want. If you come out of the analog out of the mini disk into the line in of your computer, you can save your mini disk as a wav file on your computer. The only problem is that your are running the numbers through a DA converter from the mini and a AD converter on your computer. The mini probably has a decent converter. The computer, however, probably doesn't have much of a DA converter built into your soundcard. You could purchase a sound card with SPDIF I/O and that will let you do a direct number dump from the mini to the computer. This will allow you to burn an exact copy of your mini. Your choice of cards is many and varied. Look to spend at least $150 for the card. I personally have a stand alone CD burner HHB 850 that I use to transfer mini to CD using SPDIF this is the best way to go but also the most expensive.
  4. markG

May 26, 2000
    On my computer the sound recorder only records for sixty seconds. Is there anyway I can change this. Also how would i record something as a wav file.

5. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I convert from MD to CD all the time. I have a program called Wavelab but there are heaps of programs around that let you record then manipulate a wave file.
  6. If you can use the "Line out" option from the Audio menu option rather than "Headphones" since this will boost the signal a little and doesn't apply bass and treble. Run a mini-jack to mini-jack cable between your MD and PC, set the input on the soundcard to record from Line input, set your recording levels, press record on the software and BINGO. Off you go.

Check out TUCOWS for audio editting software. I use Cool Edit 2000 which is shareware. There are a ton of audio editors out there. Try them out and pick one which does the stuff you want it to. Generally you will need to splash out some money to get an MP3 encoder (if this is what you want to do).
  7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Having a minidisc deck would make this real easy for a digital transfer, though you would need either an Audio CD burner or a sound card with digital in.
  8. I am pretty sure the only way to get a digital copy onto yer computer is to 1) have a sound card w/ a digital/optical input and 2)have a home Minidisc deck with digital/optical out. The N707 will only give you that analog line out otherwise. Still, it's a cool deck, I own one too. It's a real shame what with that firewire output and everything but I guess there are some politics involved.
  9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    MarkG, I've been thinking about buying that 707 recorder. I put it off temporarily when I found out that although you can transfer MP3s from your computer to the minidisc recorder, you can NOT transfer your "live" recordings from the minidisc recorder to the PC. This unit was designed this way because of Sony's concerns about copyrights (they own record companies and don't want you burning bootleg CDs of live concerts by their artists).

Although the unit can play MP3s, I think it creates ATRAC files (Sony proprietary format?) when you make live recordings. I believe that ATRACs can't be imported into a PC.

After browsing other theads on this subject, I've come to understand that "live" recordings can be transferred to the PC as described earlier in this thread --- by connecting the line out or earphone jack of the minidisc recorder to the line in of your sound card. You'll be dealing with analog here. You may need some kind of recording software running on the PC in order to capture the music into a file. As I understand it, You set your PC software to record using the sound card's line in and "play" the minidisc recorder. Your live recording will then end up as a file on your PC, once you've saved the file in the recording software. you can then use a utility program to convert the file to MP3. I haven't tried this yet, but it sounds like it should work. Good luck, and please keep us posted.
  10. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got an MZ-N707 and have found WinNMD to be invaluable. You can't transfer at fast speeds but if realtime is okay, it will record each MD track to a separate .wav file (with my other MD unit I have to save a single long .wav file and cut it up manually).

Check it out and see if it helps.

ps. I've found the Sony software to be pretty poor - I use it for labelling and reorganising the tracks but that's about all.
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you think of the MD more like a tape deck it will make more sense. It's not a data device like an mp3 player.

As others have said, patch the headphone out of the 707 to your soundcard's line input. Run the 707 volume at max and turn off the MegaBass.

There are numerous recording packages for the PC, some free, some $$$. The built in Microsloth recorder software that is useless because of the time limitation. I use a Mac so don't ask me to recommend a program :D

I've been recording my gigs and rehearsals and burning them to CD since I first got the MD. Actually I only do the CDs for others, I listen to the MDs myself but since most folks lack MD gear and blank CD-Rs are so cheap, what the heck...
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thanks for the tips Wulf and Brianrost. I think I'll go out and buy my 707 now.
  13. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    MD is a brilliant format for the purposes of a musician. As I type this, I'm listening to my recording of my band's gig last night at WKD's in Camden Town, London.

We were the final act before the headlining group, which meant having to be able to set up and break down with minimal delay. I clipped my mike (Sony ECM-717) to my sleeve, stuck the MD in my pocket and left it running.

I'm just listening through it this morning, marking the tracks in preparation for grabbing to PC for distribution to the rest of the group - the sound is probably better than what most people heard in the club (not at such ear destroying volume and remarkably well balanced)!

Way to go, MD :D

14. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I've forgotten, does the 707 adjust recording levels automatically?
  15. WULF I've got an MZ-N707 and have found WinNMD to be invaluable.

I DONTNHAVE .NET installed in my pc and there are various versions of .net that you can download when you hit the link WinNMD. any suggestions of which version of ,net to download. im running windows xp professional.
  16. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    groovking - check out the information Microsoft give about getting .net from this page. I don't have WinXP (still happily using Win98 at home) so hesitate to make any comments, but it seemed to go pretty smoothly on my machine just following the instructions on the webpages.

gfab333 - the MZ-N707 can either automatically adjust the levels or allow you to do it manually. The main limitation is that I don't believe you can change the manual settings in mid-song (unlike various Sharp units).

I normally set it to manual levels, turning the level down pretty low - this avoids distorted peaks and, because the quality is good (no tape hiss, etc) I can then boost the volume once I've transferred back to PC.

17. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Well, I have to thank you all out there, esp Brian Rost who really helped me figure out how great minidisc is as a recording format.

I'm sitting here listening to last night's rehearsal. I use a Sony ECM907 microphone. The sound is suprisingly good. In fact, it's pleasant to listen to! Holy smokes!!! No more incredibly over distored recordings from cheap tape recorders?!

No more lugging the laptop over the rehearsal space and futz-ing around with Protools Free?!

Seriously - what a great invention. I got a Sharp DR7 recorder from a friend who went back to Tokyo for a few days. They're available on line as well.

Recording is super intuitive, and there is no drama to set the recording level.

This is a terrific tool. I wish I had bought one a long time ago. I'd have waaaay more gig recordings. Most of the ones I have are completely distorted on cheap tape or through the board where all you get is a massive bass drum sound and no bass guitar.... :-/

Um... where were we? Oh right - the minidisc. Still blown away at how nice it sounds with a single stereo mic.
  18. fenderaholic

May 25, 2005
    Burbank ca
    for your sound recorder to record for longer hit the record button again and again and you will be able to record for longer.