Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mini Disks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by supergreg, Apr 16, 2002.

1. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I have an Md player and I was wondering if I can hook up a mic from my compter and record my band on a mini disk and put them on the computer. Is this possible? Is it worth it?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm not sure what you want to do exactly.
    Most people use a MD recorder to record gigs or rehearsals and copy it to the computer via digital or analog line out.
    That's no problem, and you can use almost any audio editor to get it on harddisc and further manipulate it, e.g. mp3 conversion.

If you want to do home recording, skip the MD player and record directly to your computer via a external mixer or your amp's line out.

3. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I want to record a live show. Could my mic for my computer be used to record it.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd recommend using the MD player with a good mic for that. There are some other threads on this topic.

Using the computer is probably too cumbersome, and a computer's internal mic is really too bad for recording.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Crown makes a PZM mic that goes for about 75$ that I've had good luck recording to MD with. The frequency response is 15-15,000 or close to that anyway. Positioning is EXTRA critical with this mic though. Otherwise get the fancy stereo Sony one, that thing rocks. (about 250$)

6. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I use an omni-directional conference mic, it's small and flat and has a little watch-style battery as a power source.I place it on a brick in the centre of the room and it gives astonishingly good results. They cost about £40 in the UK. Good luck.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i use this little sony mic that came with their top-of-the-line cassette recorder about 5 years ago. it's about the size of two thimbles and it ROCKS. the sound is exactly as if you were standing right there. should be pretty cheap if you can find them alone.

now - are there any portable minidisc players with digital OUTS or do you need the desktop unit?

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, Sony has a 700 series with a digital out. I'd bet sharp has onbe too, but I don't know the models.