1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mini Dual-Channel Head Shootout!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zaubertuba, Apr 26, 2010.

1. zaubertuba

zaubertuba

Nov 1, 2009
    Rehearsals and small- to medium-sized coffeehouse/worship jazz-fusion/blues/folk gigs. I play with Drums/keyboardist in one group and acoustic guitars/mandolin/piano & singers in another group.

Stereo 8-string bass with EMG FT active pickups.

Teamed with a 10" + 6" cabinet or maybe a 12/6 fearful.

The Choices:

1.) Markbass LMK (discontinued) or MoMark LMK

2.) Markacoustic AH 250

3.) Genz Benz Shenandoah Compak 300

4.) (Insert your own choice here)

EDIT...and let's try and keep the cost sub-$1,000, just for giggles. :p

Ready...GO! :bassist:

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Can't go wrong with Walter Woods :)

3. I assume you mean 'dual channel', not stereo. I don't believe any of those units are stereo (i.e., dual preamps and power amps configured to send a separate signal through each of two different speakers).

There are very few Stereo bass heads. Walter Woods makes one, as does TecAmp (the Bonafide). Both are great and both very expensive. The Tecamp is fat and creamy sounding, the Walter is a bit more midrange voiced, with a very airy top end and lots of upper mid response. Both fabulous.

Also, I would not recommend a 10/6... the 6 would totally overwhelm the little 10. The 12/6 designe (LDS or DIY) is wonderful sounding if you want it deep, smooth, clean and relatively accurage (with a tweeter if you like to extend that top end).

4. bhernco

bhernco

Mar 1, 2008
    Hawaii
    I use this for most gigs w/ 2 PJB 4B cabs. very Nice and not too heavy. I add 2 aditional 4Bs for larger gigs. ( which I have never had to do..)

Michael Pope MPP2
    SWR Amplite Lites

Attached Files:

5. That is VERY slick.

6. zaubertuba

zaubertuba

Nov 1, 2009
    You're right - sorry about that. :oops: Post Edited. :)

Those *do* look fabulous. With a fabulous price to boot. :eek:

Thanks - I really appreciate the input. I need all the help I can get! :D

Definitely a sweet rig! ...but it doesn't actually fit my definition of "compact." ;)

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I would not put a bass through the Shenandoah Compak......you could very well expect speaker issues.

8. zaubertuba

zaubertuba

Nov 1, 2009
    ...That's too bad. It *looked* like a real nice option. ;)

...and I just found out that The Markacoustic's input channels aren't matched, so the options are slimming down pretty fast. :(

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    To clarify Roger's comment...

The problem is not the amp, which is removable from the combo w/ 2 thumb screws for bass gigs), it's that the speaker cabinet is quite small and does not have the necessary extended low frequency power handling suitable for bass gtr.

If you were to take the Shen Compact 300 amp and run it with a real bass cabinet, the output would be similar to the Shuttle 3.0 but the voicing is somewhat different. I tested one on an Uber 410 and it was a nice solution for somebody who really needs 2 seperate channels/signal paths.

10. zaubertuba

zaubertuba

Nov 1, 2009
    Thanks so much for the clarification. Actually I'm looking at running a head into a fearful 12/6.

How is the voicing different than the Shuttle? Is there still substantive low end?

Also, how are the input impedances on the two channels? Are they matched? Would they handle active pickups allright?

11. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    very cool.
    I've always thought of getting an Aguilar DB659 and a 1U power amp to put in an SKB shallow 2U rack, but there are not that many powerful power amps in 1 rack space format.

How have those Amplites served you???

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The HPF and LF coutour network is different, you do not have the tone shaping filters either.

The input impedance is well matched for passive or active pickups, and the input overload point is plenty high.

13. renejaime

renejaime

May 25, 2005
    Austin
    a couple of heads not yet mentioned but fit the OT preference pretty spot on would be

1. Euphonic Audio Micro/Doubler (550) - 550 watts 4/2 ohms, Channel 1/2 mid EQ pts - 500Hz/800Hz, depending if you go with the doubler you get some nice phasing, HPF features both models are sub $1000 online they're about $675/$750

2. Acoustic Image Clarus+ - 1000w @2 ohms, 800w @4 ohms, phasing and HPF filters, built-in FX and right at the $999.00 mark

both heads are under 5lbs. and can run both channels at the same time seeing that both were targeted for upright players, blending two inputs from an upright - pickup and microphone or for those who double upright and electric.