Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mini Fender bass-guitar???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickcore, Aug 4, 2002.

1. nickcore

nickcore

Aug 4, 2002
    Guys! I really need help. One of my friends (I am from Russia) has recently bough a bass - guitar. I haven't yet seen it myself, but he says that this bass guitar was made in Japan and that it looks like a regular electric guitar (the neck, and it has frets like the usual rythm guitar), but anyway it is written that it is Fender, and it has serial number.
    I tried to search in the Internet, but I didn't find anything about mini bass-guitars Fender.
    Can you please tell me, can it be really min bass-guitar, or it is justa remade regular guitar or smth.
    Because he didn't buy it in a shop, but some guy has sold it to him!!! Than you. Nick

2. Without seeing it, it's hard to guess what this might be. The only thing made by Fender I can think of that that matches that description is the old Fender Electric mandolin--I'll attach a picture of that one. I have sometimes seen mini Precision Basses, with the split pickup and everything, but they were not actually built by Fender.

Mike

[​IMG]

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    could it be a fender mustang bass? I dunno where they were made though. I'm guessing it was either the mandolin thing above or a mustang bass. thats all

4. Here's a mini-bass for you:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, try contacting the guy who sold your friend the mini bass. You could also just wait until you see it yourself, though.

5. It might be a "Tender." I have a "Tender", it was my first bass. It's made like a P-Bass. If it says "MADE IN JAPAN" on the neckplate then it's probably a "Tender." And it's small. Maybe the size of guitar, or a little smaller.

6. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Australia
  7. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    Could be a Bronco bass.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Maybe a tenor? Four strings, 25" or so scale?

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No, it's not a Baritone guitar. Baritones are tuned a fifth lower than a guitar. The Fender Bass VI and Danelectro six string bass(or Tic Tac bass) are tuned an octave below a regular guitar, just like a bass.