Mini Fender bass-guitar???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickcore, Aug 4, 2002.

1. nickcore

Aug 4, 2002
    Guys! I really need help. One of my friends (I am from Russia) has recently bough a bass - guitar. I haven't yet seen it myself, but he says that this bass guitar was made in Japan and that it looks like a regular electric guitar (the neck, and it has frets like the usual rythm guitar), but anyway it is written that it is Fender, and it has serial number.
    I tried to search in the Internet, but I didn't find anything about mini bass-guitars Fender.
    Can you please tell me, can it be really min bass-guitar, or it is justa remade regular guitar or smth.
    Because he didn't buy it in a shop, but some guy has sold it to him!!! Than you. Nick
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Without seeing it, it's hard to guess what this might be. The only thing made by Fender I can think of that that matches that description is the old Fender Electric mandolin--I'll attach a picture of that one. I have sometimes seen mini Precision Basses, with the split pickup and everything, but they were not actually built by Fender.

3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    could it be a fender mustang bass? I dunno where they were made though. I'm guessing it was either the mandolin thing above or a mustang bass. thats all
  4. Here's a mini-bass for you:

Anyway, try contacting the guy who sold your friend the mini bass. You could also just wait until you see it yourself, though.
  5. It might be a "Tender." I have a "Tender", it was my first bass. It's made like a P-Bass. If it says "MADE IN JAPAN" on the neckplate then it's probably a "Tender." And it's small. Maybe the size of guitar, or a little smaller.
  6. LowEndRider

LowEndRider Guest

Mar 4, 2002
  7. sbasssman

sbasssman Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    Could be a Bronco bass.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Maybe a tenor? Four strings, 25" or so scale?
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No, it's not a Baritone guitar. Baritones are tuned a fifth lower than a guitar. The Fender Bass VI and Danelectro six string bass(or Tic Tac bass) are tuned an octave below a regular guitar, just like a bass.