1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mini fridge died. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BadJazz, Dec 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    Got a mini fridge that powers on but won't run and keep it cool. Any ideas? I blew all the dust off the compressor and things but to no avail.

2. 1) Buy new mini fridge

DirtDog, bobba66, BadJazz and 2 others like this.
  3. 2.?

4. 3. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

5. Fixed.

S-Bigbottom and geeza like this.
  6. Add beer?

BadJazz likes this.
  7. ani_enhanced-buzz-8446-1403289180-9.

BadJazz likes this.
  8. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Most of them are not built to be repairable, or at least not economically repairable (new one costs less) so @geeza is right.

Pilgrim, geeza and Stumbo like this.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Size is not relevant to the problem.

10. Size does matter, because you wouldn't want to lug a full-sized fridge to a shop.

Sometimes it's just the thermostat, find a repair shop.
    do those exist anymore, repair shops?

I need to figure that out actually, because it's time to pay my extended warranty again on my 3D TV & I'm not sure there are any repair shops around.
    not sure it's worth the $150 (2 year) agreement

11. Leaking or low refrigerant?

12. I think with refrigerant problems, the compressor will run, but just not cool.

ZenG likes this.
  13. Right....now that I read his post again..

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Odds are the compressor is shot. Not worth repairing when you can get a new one for well under $100.

DirtDog likes this.
  15. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Or the compressor relay, or thermostat. There's usually a schematic taped somewhere in the fridge guts. If you don't have the tools or the knowledge to follow it, it'd be more economical to buy another fridge rather than shotgunning parts. And if it's the compressor or some specialty circuit board, it's probably cheaper to get another fridge anyway.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    We’ve got a couple old appliance parts houses around here. I kept a che-pass dryer running for a bunch of years out of those places.

IMO It’s best just to recycle a broken mini fridge and shop for a replacement.

17. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

My first thought was things inside are going to get warmer. Then I though to myself "What if it's outside in the snow?". I realized I didn't have all the necessary information so I went to my full sized fridge, took out some cheese and Italian salami to go with my club crackers and went back to my binge watching of Inside the Actors Studio.

Gaolee, S-Bigbottom and DirtDog like this.
  18. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    My mini refrigerator died in my office a few months ago. I inherited it when I bought my business and it finally quit. I was looking at various mini refrigerators with different features and sizes. I ended up with this one I bought at Home Depot that is bigger than the one I had; but, it has a separate freezer section and holds more things in the bottom. It was $199. They have one that is a little smaller for $169 and they have many other smaller models that are less money.

Magic Chef 4.3 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator in Stainless Look

stainless-look-magic-chef-mini-refrigerators-hvdr430se-64_1000.

stainless-look-magic-chef-mini-refrigerators-hvdr430se-e1_1000.

Here is the next smallest version

Magic Chef
    3.1 cu. ft. Mini Refrigerator in Black

black-magic-chef-mini-refrigerators-hmdr310be-64_1000.

black-magic-chef-mini-refrigerators-hmdr310be-e1_1000.

BadJazz likes this.
  19. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Does Stevie Wonder do their grocery shopping?

20. I'd buy the top one, it has pie.