1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mini GK + Ampeg Rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by knucklehead G, May 11, 2010.

1. I've been hunting a rig recently since I have my bass together, and I got a chance to play a GK 700RB-II through an Ampeg 410. I loved the combo, all that GK growl and power through the classic Ampeg cab.

The trouble is, I'm looking at moving to LA this winter and I'd like to go ahead and get something small I can cart around easily.

Has anyone used the GK MB200 or the Ampeg SVT210? Everywhere I'd possibly need to play around here has a PA so if it sounds good and its easy to haul, I'm sold. I know the MB500 is a fairly popular head but it would blow up the SVT210 at 350W @ 8ohms while the cab takes 200.

Will this get me that same sound I got from the 700RB and 410, or are these bits too cheap to keep up?

2. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    That idea would probably be Ok , but I would go with an MB-500 and the Ampeg cab. More power equals more headroom, just be careful not to overdrive the cab. I run my mb-5o0 alot thru a 112 cab .

3. I haven't used it, but I'm planning to go that route myself for a portable/practice rig. My main rig is a Traynor YBA200 head - 200w, all-tube - and a Yamaha BBT210S cab - 2x10, tweeter, slot port.

The problem is that together, they weigh almost 100 lbs, and as I don't drive, I need an amp that I can carry around. I figure the MB200 + 210AV will do me fine as a stage monitor, and I can pump signal through my Sansamp BDDIP to the FOH.

I have confidence in the rig, even though I haven't yet tried it - but as always, if you can try them together before buying, do so.

And let me know how it works out for you!

4. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    It's gone almost three months, OP. Anything to share?

I'm considering one of the MB-amps myself (200 vs. 500) to feed a Mesa/Boogie 15". It's rated 200watts at 8ohms, so the question is:

- MB500 feeding 350 watts = more headroom, but overpowering
    - MB200 feeding 140 watts = less headromm, but playing it safe

The MB200 cost almost half as much as the MB500 (here in Norway) and will definitely fit in my gig-bag's tight pocket. I'm living on studentloan, so the price means a lot to me... only thing is what if I regret on buying the MB200 and want to upgrade!

5. I actually got an Acoustic B200 for $16.44 from Guitar Center a month or so ago, so my 200W amp needs were met. Not the sound I wanted, but for that price if it doesn't catch on fire I'm good with it. Its also my current coffee table.