1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mini mega died on gig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by golfnsubie, Nov 5, 2017.

1. golfnsubie

golfnsubie

Jan 17, 2011
    Sooooo....last weekend at our gig I lost almost all my volume suddenly but i didn't know what it could've been so i changed batteries in bass and it work for awhile again but then dropped again right at the end of the night....so I played through it loudly at a shed for about an hour this week and everything seemed to be just fine...so last night as we literally go to start our set I have no volume again....ugh....the one show we play in my hometown and my rigs down...so embarrassing...so I run out of the bar and drove home to grab my lh1000 and ran back in swapped it out and was running by halfway through the first set...i surprisingly settled in pretty quick and it ended up being not much of an issue but...now I'm going to have to figure out exactly when I bought it and warranty length and all that jazz...
    Until last week the mini had been rock solid and I've really enjoyed playing it...its probably been gigged maybe 30 times or so...

FreightTrain likes this.
  2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain

Oct 28, 2017
    For the love of god! I would have been so stressed out! Must be some kind of warranty on the amp? Did you take it back to where you bought it?

3. golfnsubie

golfnsubie

Jan 17, 2011
    Well it just happened last night....bought from authorized dealer so we will see ad I'm going to have to look up when I actually purchased it...think it has two year warranty

...and stressed out yes when I was driving home I was very mad but managed to get myself chilled out before I walked back in the bar...i think this has scarred me enough to start bringing a backup head...if it would've happened somewhere else I'd have been SOL

cazclocker and rodl2005 like this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not to pile on, but all the reports just like this scared me away from Peavey's new amps. That being said, I always take a backup head to gigs. I picked up a Carvin BX500 just for that purpose, it's small enough and weighs nothing. There are lots of little tiny amps out there now that would be good backup, but of course none are 1000 watts!

5. When I hear tales of woe such as this my first question is what speaker cabinets did you have connected to the amp?

Second is what were the impedances of the cabinet(s).

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain

Oct 28, 2017
    I start thinking about my gig next weekend. I never bring a back up amp. And this gig is a couple of hours away from my home. OK now I start getting nervous! ;)

Garret Graves, cazclocker and JeffC23 like this.
  7. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I'm with you on this, I have a gig this Tuesday evening and I'm bringing the GK MB800 Fusion has the main amp but also my Agui TH500 has a back up, you never know.

FreightTrain likes this.
  8. FreightTrain

FreightTrain

Oct 28, 2017
    Since you have both of these amplifiers I need to ask you a question: Does the MB800 sound louder than the TH500? Wondering. Which one do you prefer?

9. I'd be doing is swap the power lead 1st. In the UK both our amps and power cables have fuses. If that don't work then change fuse in back of the head, carry spares they don't take up any room. After that if still not working it's out the door for back up.

10. Are you trying to teach me how to suck eggs? I got my EE degree in the UK where I wuz borned! :D

Here in North America our plugs do not contain fuses and our supply is 120V. Besides I think you will find that the vast majority of 13A power plugs contain a 13A fuse. If that blows there is a critical problem with the cable not the amp which is fused at a much lower value.

If an amp is working properly the biggie in it failing is a too low impedance load. Either deliberately, running too many cabinets, or accidentally when say a 1/4” Phone jack is pulled part way out and thus shorts. Drummers are renowned for tripping over cables. I use SpeakOn connectors to prevent the latter happening.

11. golfnsubie

golfnsubie

Jan 17, 2011
    I was running a MAS Bodai 38 which is,supposed to be 4ohm but Mike told me he did custom drivers in the,cab,so it would have little over 5ohm because he remembered I'm using the minimega and it has problems with 4 ohm loads...although oddly he didn't discuss any of the custom impedance stuff until after I had the cab (I personally don't believe that little story but that a whole other topic lol)

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    my guess-thermal cutout

NigelD, chaosMK and Dudaronamous like this.
  13. Interesting I have not heard of the 4Ω problem. I would be surprised if Hartley allowed an amp design with this problem to be marketed. Especially in a world tending towards 2Ω loads and possibly even lower in the future.

14. golfnsubie

golfnsubie

Jan 17, 2011
    I agree...personally I think mike didn't have the right drivers yet to get the 28 and 38 at 4ohm so my 3 driver cab sits above 5ohms and he told me that to make it sound custom....sounds like a wierd thing to do without consulting customer wouldn't you think? So technically I don't know what the impedance of this cab is as i dont really trust,his word...cab sounds great but mike was very deceptive through the whole process and he literally disappeared for weeks after it was supposed to be done with no communication or returned calls...had to hunt him down through Big E speakers...sorry for the venting

....so no...i don't believe the minimega has,any problem with 4 ohm load as I ran both my 8ohm gk cabs with no previous problem...and this first happened last week with single 8 ohm cab

SirMjac28 and alaskaleftybass like this.
  15. golfnsubie

golfnsubie

Jan 17, 2011
    Not saying it isn't...but I literally turned the,amp on 5 minutes before and it was the beginning of show..

Garret Graves likes this.
  16. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I prefer the MB800 over the TH500 and yes it is a lot louder than the TH500. They are two different amps, the MB800 Fusion has the three tubes in the preamp and the clean channel is by far much cleaner than what the TH will ever be able to produce. Having said that, the Agui has a better vintage vibe than the MB. The gig I'll be playing on Tuesday doesn't require a vintage type of sound, the TH will be there just in case something happens.

Another project I am part of is a blues and R&B band and in that project the TH would be the main amp and the MB the backup just because the type of the groove and the sound required is what the TH can provide.

FreightTrain and Joedog like this.
  17. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Honestly, most cabs on the market aren't running at exactly 4 or 8 ohms either, for one reason or another. Most amps have a pretty wide tolerance for it, though. The mini is really physically small so it's not entirely surprising that it's transformer isn't quite able to keep up with a custom cab that's maybe a little farther off-spec than normal.

18. golfnsubie

golfnsubie

Jan 17, 2011
    Possible....but it first happened last week with my gk 4×10 that is 8ohms

19. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Does your GK have ceramic drivers? If so, again, that's a "mini" pushing a big cab. Four ten pound magnets moves a lot of air.

Are you playing a lot of shows without subs? If you can, you should be letting the soundguy do the heavy lifting. If not, maybe consider upgrading to something with a beefier transformer?

20. golfnsubie

golfnsubie

Jan 17, 2011
    My gk cabs are the mb series with neo mags I believe....and yes I play all our indoor shows without subs lol...one of the reasons I am moving to this,new cab the bodai 38....mike says it can move 1400cc vd and with three drivers should be very efficient...but yes I have pushed the 4×10 or the 1×15 gk by themselves or as a combo pretty hard to carry the whole room...so,again that's why I am moving to a cab with much more capability