1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mini, micro, nano... getting there...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jan 6, 2012.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I just saw an ad for the new GK "200W, 2lb" amplifier. It looks as if it occupies half a 1u rack space, I think?

Back in 1987, I had a car phone that size. Just the portable handset, that is. It worked within the range of maybe 100 yards from the transceiver fitted in the car, which was about the same dimensions. Nowadays, the function of both of those - and hugely more - is done by a cell phone (which is an mp3 player, camera, video camera and player, satnav unit, webcam, personal organiser, internet capable et cetera, hand held computer).

In twenty years, will we have bass amp heads, capable of 200W or more output, that will fit in your pocket like your cell phone does? I'm thinking we probably will, or maybe something else equally amazing, compared to what we have now. Cool.

What would you like?

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    For preamps, we're already there, of course -- you can use your actual cell phone as one. The limiting factor for power amps is cooling systems, I'm guessing -- even class D amps produce some heat that has to be dispersed, and that requires a little room. No doubt that will get more and more efficient too, though.

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm looking at the Aggie ad now - man, they've got to be joking if they think I'm going to lug around an amp that weighs FOUR FREAKIN' POUNDS! :D

4. Hopefully they can build the entire system, from preamp to some kind of soundwave-producing speaker, including the power!, right into the body of any electric instrument. No more amps, wires, etc.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They've already done that, but of course the speaker size you can fit into a guitar body, and the amount of power to drive the speaker, are pretty limited (so far).

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I'm thinking more along the lines of every venue having a great sound system (line arrays of lots of small drivers?) built in to the actual infrastructure, all picking up wirelessly whatever performance is happening. You walk in with your bass/other instrument, and the venue's sound system picks up whatever signal you send and this gets used for a perfect FOH/monitor mix, leaving you to just play and leave afterwards without unloading tons of gear.

Which would be better for this - wireless P or wireless J? :D

Bliss.

7. HometownLetdown

HometownLetdown

Sep 14, 2011
    Even if they do I think I'd still use my big heavy tube amp

8. Depends ... is it being used for metal?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I've now done my obligatory TalkBass "best for metal" post - first and only time, I promise!

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In 20 years, the entire amplification system will be contained within the instrument. Sound will be conveyed to the audience wirelessly through implanted chips next to the ear drum because earbuds are so yesterday.. This will all happen from individual, independent locations, venues and audiences won't exist. Those of you with 4lb. amplifiers and 112's will be so old-school and the rest of us will be treated like the walking dead and I will cry.

I hope this never happens.

Obligatory :p

10. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    20 years from now? Telepathic social interaction.......but more likely is the extinction of man.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, 20 years, ...........zombies will have completely taken over.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll bet anyone $100 that SVT's will be as popular 50 years from now as they are now.

13. f.clef

f.clef Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Yes, we know that zombies eat 12AX7.

How will we feed the zombies? TB newbies? Not so tasty!

14. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    This thread fills me with dread and sorrow. I just now came to terms with the fact that the giant rocking amp and cab I so lust for is not wanted, and bassists are largely expected to go direct. I know I know, sound quality, consistent mix, even sound throughout the venue, and all that good stuff. But, I would be liar if I said I wasn't much more excited by the sheer visceral might of a giant rig making giant noise. I just do not want to consider the possibility that when I start playing out, it's going to be through an iphone into individual wireless headsets.

15. f.clef

f.clef Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Bruder, as so many have said before, it's the music, not the gear. Play on.

16. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    I understand where you're coming from, F. And I totally understand that logic, reason, and necessity are generally against me here. But, at the end of the day, I starting learning bass with the ultimate end goal of at least once in my life, plugging into a GIANT rig full of many speakers, and simply rocking the faces off of the audience with sheer brutal volume and fierce tone. I cannot lie. I want to rock the old-fashioned way. Stacks of speakers, excessive wattage, a tweaked drummer, and sheer swagger :D

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Considering the state and trajectory of the dollar, in 20 years I'll basically owe you a Coca-Cola....if the dollar even exists then....I might just owe you some toilet paper.:p

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You're on. Let me hold that $100 for you for the next 50 years, and we'll discuss it then.

19. f.clef

f.clef Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Leave out the tweaked drummer (I prefer shaken, not tweaked), and I concede the point.

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    if they did that, and it had any volume to speak of, the bass would probably shake right off of the strap. ;)