1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mini mixers - good vs crap

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nappingcracker, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Soo.... I would like a mini mixer, and it shant be crap.
    It seems more people are using paraloopers and the like vs a mixer.
    Any comments on these? (attest to sound/build quality):

ART PowerMIX l - 4 Channel Mixer
    B0002E57SY.01-AIMZUKBRH6H15._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.

Rolls MX44s Mini Mix IV
    [​IMG]

Behringer MICROMIX MX400
    [​IMG]

DOD AC240
    [​IMG]

Other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Wouldn't it be cooler to use a mixer with effects sends, so you could 'put effects on the effects'? Well - now that I think about it - a regular mixer would also have some amount of channel EQ-ing; that'd be powerful too!

I remember seeing something like this in a picture of Tony Leven's pedalboard here on TB (he was playing a brewery in... New York, was it?).

Joe

3. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    (watchin' this thread as a fly on the wall :smug: )

4. Joe:

A la-

Behringer Eurorack UB1002 Mixer
    [​IMG]

please elaborate on your loop idea.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I can attest to the ART mini mixers. I use one for my keyboard, they work great. Use another for my jerry rigged home stereo system. Also works great, no problems.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yeah, I've been using a Mackie 1202VLZ this way for many years. If you understand all the (many) routing possibilities you can do some pretty insane stuff. It's handy for sending a stereo EFX mix to the front of house too. These things go for around $125-150 used on eBay these days.

7. thanks, tplyons

score:1 Art

8. that mackie is nice, but too large.
    small small small is the current order, if not the mini stomp style, then the smallest of boards.

care to share any of your fun and excitement with routing?

9. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Hmm, another way of splitting up your signal, napping:

A/B/Y box into Behringer Amp selector pedal.

Y (input)

A - clean

B - effects

Then set the behringer selector to 2 inputs, 1 output.

I guess that should work? :eyebrow:

10. yes, uly,

I had examined that path, and I will probably get one of the cheap behringer line selectors regardless, but my problem with that unit is that you can not blend the two channels (i think) -- A/B, but not both/A (the boss version can, if i recall).

I dont know what I need yet for the front end, but I do know that the backend needs to mix several signals independently into one.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I use the Rolls mini-mixers all the time, they're awesome. The little black one you have pictured is passive, which means (a) no noise, and (b) you can flip it around and use it as a splitter! This way you can use one to split your signal four ways, and use another to recombine them back to one channel.

I also really like their powered 4-channel stereo mini-mixer, the blue one. Very handy piece of kit. Well made, too.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    There's a lttle Tascam version that's made by Mackie, it's similar to the small Behringer ones in size. For me, the Mackie's actually a bit too small and limited, but you'll see why in a moment.:cool:

care to share any of your fun and excitement with routing?

I haven't been gigging my original band for a couple of years, but for a 100 seat club, I used to bring:

SS bass preamp w/dual fuzz(homebrew) --Fender style
    Tube bass preamp (homebrew) --Ampeg style
    G-K 400 RB w/1-15" EV cab
    PLX 2402 w/ 1-12 and 1-15 cabs
    Rocktron Intellifex
    Lexicon Alex or Vortex
    Boss GX-700 multi EFX/modeler
    Hafler T-2 tube guitar preamp
    EMU ESI4000 sampler
    Roland GR-9 guitar synth
    Midi-Mate switcher

I've upgraded quite a bit since then though. I expect to use my Crest XR-20 mixer if/when I start back with this band. I have a Schroeder 1210 running off the bridged 2402, plus a coax 12 and coax 15 for EFX now, powered by a PLX 1202. My target venue is the local 300 seater, so I'll get to run through 4 subs too.

Anyhow, one of my favorite bass patches was clean bass to the GK, dual cascaded ping-pong echo to the stereo PLX rig, the tube preamp in the EFX loop of the GX modeler with a Soldano model running (controlled feedback city!), fed by my homemade dual fuzz and controlled by an expression pedal in my MIDI floor switcher. I'd send one channel of one of the delays to front of house too, so there'd be a 4-tap moving fuzz delay thing happening, with lots of physical spread on the cabs. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this is all with slide bass.:bassist:

One I got this all going I'd switch to guitar for a while, which controlled the sampler and guitar synth as well. It took a lot of tap dancing, as you might imagine. For the moment I'm playing mostly lounge jazz gigs on EUB, so life is just a little simpler. Probably even more so for the audience, eh?

13. @Bongo:

yah, that is what I have been leaning towards, two passive mixers, with some trickery to split between clean/both/wet. What is it that you dig about the active rolls? (aside from stereo...which I have been thinking about...feh, need more cabs and chits)

@pass

hot dawg! thats the very road to maddness that I have been sauntering and skipping upon. sure to blow some minds!

14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Anybody tried the little Electro Harmonix mixer?

15. I dug for a bit, and could not find much except for the EHX site. seems pretty cool for a one stand band kind of thing. (mic, lines, 1/4in, loop, etc).

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have a lot of rack fx with stereo outputs, and they can really overtax a small mixing setup. So I use the active stereo Rolls units as submixers. I also have rackmount submixers, but the Rolls is cool because it's small and I can stash it in back of a rack behind the other gear, or swap cable arrangements with little hassle. They also have a headphone jack, which is cool because I can monitor each submix separately if I want, either by plugging the headphones into different units or by routing the headphone outputs of different units into ...drum roll please... another Rolls submixer!