1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mini octave pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blong1, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    Sooo, is there one out there that sounds good?...Analog or digital?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I'd say to make your mind up on analog vs digital first, they are like totally different effects.

Analog sounds fatter and synthier, responds quicker, but can only track single notes and is usually only octave down (but some have a fuzzy octave up also).

Digital tracks better (including chords) but with a slight processing delay, and sounds like your bass but pitch shifted (up or down), rather than a synthesized tone.

I prefer analog, the only decent nano option I'm aware of is the COG T16. It sounds great to add subs to your dry sound, but in my opinion it can't touch the likes of the slightly larger OC-2, Octabvre Mini (which replaced my T16), or Broughctave for soloed synth sounds.

For digital there are a few options from the likes of Mooer etc... I don't know if there are any that can compete with the EHX Nano POG though, but I'm not up to date with what's out there!

Nunovsky and Jonny_Orange like this.
  3. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    Moore pure octave?

JC87 likes this.
  4. Most TBers who've had the Pure Octave didn't like it.

My votes based on copious amounts of other TBers experience...

Analog: Cog T-16

Didigeridoitall: Mooer Tender

5. I recently received an email from Amazon (based on my history I guess?) alerting me to the existence of the JOYO JF-330 Ocho Octave pedal. By all accounts an OC2 clone. No idea what it sounds like but it's tiny!

6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah I keep hearing good things about the Mooer Tender. Then theres the COG T16 which is analogue. And also quite a bit more expensive. I think you'd be safe sticking with Mooer if you didnt want to break the bank.

7. slamsinger

slamsinger Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Coventry RI
    COG T-16
    A little beast of a pedal

SLO Surfer and Matt Dean like this.
  8. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Forget the Pure, look for the Mooer Tender Octaver. It's a much better item.

Yes, the Tender is superior. Not superior to the COG, just overall.

gregmon79 likes this.
  9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I'd really like to try that one myself.

10. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Good sentiment. I should've specified, I didn't mean to say the Mooer was better or worse. The COG is tops in quality and most likely sound. But I also think ones analogue and ones digital. I can't remember, I always get the tender and pure mixed up.

11. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    EBS Octabass

12. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    I'm not too concerned with it being analog or digital...I just need something in a mini size. That being said, I prefer analog, but can live with digital.

Thanks for the suggestions guys...If you think of anything else, let me know.

13. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon Supporting Member

Fervently seconding all votes for Mooer Tender Octaver. That thing was a prodigy from unlikely circumstances. I grabbed mine off eBay for maybe $70 and it's outperformed every other octave I've encountered by leaps and bounds. I mostly use its octave-up features for high-register soloing or dual-voiced chords, but the octave down is delicious, tracks perfectly straight to the bottom, and sounds gentler and synthier the more you get into ludicrously low-end territory.

Never have I trusted a pedal more.

--^@

14. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    It's not mini, but it's small - TC Electronic Sub 'n Up.

15. jcerio

jcerio Gold Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Mooer Tender Octaver. Hands down. Listen:

Signs, ShadowImage, blong1 and 4 others like this.
  16. Makoa Johnson

Makoa Johnson Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Minnesota
    Theres the 3Leaf Octabvre Mini! ...But even it is bigger than that Mooer ^

17. Glen Robert Beach

Glen Robert Beach

Jun 24, 2014
    Three Leaf Mini Octave pedal will be my next octave pedal purchase.

18. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It has top jacks though which can reduce the space taken up. But tone is paramount and if you can't fit one of those on you need a bigger board!

Makoa Johnson likes this.
  19. I've been looking at this pedal. Dirt cheap on Amazon. Sounds pretty good with the sub and up and no dry signal. I may buy one! :)

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Agree 100% with all the above^^^

In my case, after trying several octave effects over the years I still end up keeping and using my old Boss OC-2. But I only need octave down. And I'm very used to how it works and sounds as well, so that may well have a lot to do with it.

The newer OC-3 is definitely more versatile. But I greatly prefer the sound of the OC-2, which you can find used in good condition at all the usual places for $80 or thereabouts. (I wouldn't pay more than that unless it was one of the early MIJ models which do seem to sound marginally better. For one of those I might be willing to go $100 if it were in excellent condition.)

Unfortunately, neither the OC-2 or OC-3 are mini pedals. They're small enough at 4.7 x 2.84. But not 1590a 3.6 x 1.5 mini-sized.

Jonny_Orange likes this.