Mini or Micro Chorus recommendation

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey guys,

I am in the market for a mini or micro chorus. It most definitely has to be mini (eg. not full-size) to fit on my micro travel board. I play primarily in church(es). I'm looking for something that is warm, but doesn't completely overtake the entire signal (eg., maintains some low end. Doesn't turn the whole thing into swirly, mushy nothingness). Something to use primarily for slower, more ambient parts of songs. Do you have any suggestions? Thus far I have come across the TC Mini Corona Chorus and the Malekko Omnicron Chorus, but you guys always have fantastic recommendations for things I have never heard of before.

Thanks in advance

2. Ibanez Chorus mini is my favorite chorus in a mini version, warm sweet vintage and great on bass.

3. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Excellent. I'll check it out. Thanks.

bassbrad likes this.
  4. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    That being said, now that I've looked into it, the TC Corona Mini has toneprints from Victor Wooten, Duff McKagen, Dave Beste, Rudy Sarzo, Tom Hamilton and Nathan East, among others. That alone might be worth the price of admission.

ThinCrappyTone and bassbrad like this.
  5. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    No opinions from me, since I haven't tried them, but I was only able to find 2 mini bass chorus pedals. I wouldn't use a guitar one unless you've tried it first hand, since there's potential to lose the bottom end of your sound. Both of these pedals have good reviews though, so that's at least got to be worth something:
    • Mooer Ensemble Queen Bass
    • TC Electonics Corona Mini

6. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Right. That's my primary concern. Losing bottom end. I tried a Digitech Luxe which is intriguing, but I feel like bottomed out my tone. And the one guitar chorus pedal I have totally robs the low end. Thanks for the tips. I'm not finding many options out there besides those you've listed and the Ibanez (which sounds pretty good from the 1-2 videos out there). Since I posted the question, I've listened to several videos of the artist toneprints for the Corona Mini, and the thing sounds pretty darn good. What has the TC leading for me at the moment is the fact that it has a dry signal through, maintaining your tone as you increase the level of the pedal. And it's true bypass. I have a TC Spectracomp, Sub 'n Up, and Polytune 2 mini, all of which I love. The toneprints are a bonus too. But I can't imagine there can be that many differences when it comes to chorus toneprints. To a certain extent, apart from build quality, chorus is chorus. You can either make it faster or slower, deeper or shallower, and that's about it. At least that's always been my opinion. But it's always been one of my favorite bass effects. I'm a child of the 80's, so the chorused bass sound is burned into my brain.

7. TC is a solid choice but luddite me I cannot get the Toneprint editor to engage, I am sure it is some basic, dumb simple step that I missed or skipped but dammit. I have 2 tone prints I want to create but just can't get there. Cue Charlie Brown "Arghhhhhhh!" .

8. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Interesting. I clearly do not have one yet, but I do have other TC pedals. Maybe it's a firmware issue. There were multiple issues with the TC Spectracomp which were solved by updating the firmware on the pedal when connected to a computer. Maybe there's a firmware update? That being said, I continue to have issues with the Toneprint app. There are times it just freezes, won't open, or it regularly acts like it's beaming a toneprint to my pedal through my bass and in reality it's just sitting there doing nothing.

9. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    No love for the MXR Micro Chorus? I had a two knob plastic MXR Micro Flanger on my board for a while and thought it sounded quite good at the time anyway.

mattbass6945 likes this.
  10. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    The Micro Chorus isn't really a mini or micro form factor; I think it's closer to regular stomp-box sized. However, compared to MXR's huge Stereo Chorus (which is a truly awesome chorus), it is significantly smaller.

Edit: Here's a picture I borrowed from Dunlop's website:
    View attachment 3402842

TNCreature likes this.
  11. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    1) It sounds pretty good. But (based on the 2 videos online), I think it takes over the sound a bit too much for my tastes. Doesn't let enough of the true bass tone through. And one-knob pedals scare me, lol. Though I hadn't heard of it before, so thanks for the heads up.
    2) Yes, that's what I was thinking. It appears to be a "micro" in name only. It's too large for my limited pedalboard real estate. I'm looking for micro as in 1590a (is that what it's called?) enclosures. Like, teenie weenie pedals.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  12. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    The EHX Bass Clone is slightly bigger than a mini, but smaller than a regular pedal. Has a x-over and tone controls. Seems to have plenty of bottom end. I have a TC mini on the way to compare the two.

catcauphonic and Nunovsky like this.
  13. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I did see that one, thanks. The crossover intrigues me. I think the MXR Bass Chorus deluxe has a similar function. I'd love to hear your thoughts on a comparison. Thanks. It might come down to a 1/4" or 1/8" difference in space on my board. I'm guessing it's the same size enclosure as my Bass Soul Food, so I should be able to judge whether or not it will fit. But I've considered mounting my compressor on the bottom of my board to give myself some more space, since it's one knob and I never change it.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    eriky4003 likes this.
  14. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
  15. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    I love my ehx bass clone, but wanted to warn that it’s actually wider than a boss pedal because the jacks stick out pretty far on either side.

57EF145F-639E-43C6-8071-A48147153986.jpeg

16. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Well, crap. Good to know. It might still work. I'll have to do some measuring later. Thank you.

17. The MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe also has a Flange feature which could be cool. I thought you were looking for smaller sized however...
    If not, Ampeg's Liquifier was a great sounding chorus. My only issue with the one I tried was there was a noticeable pop when I engaged the pedal. I'd suggest if you test this make sure you have an amp turned up to see if the pedal pops.

18. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Right. The Chorus Deluxe sounds great, but it's too large, ideally. I'm not familiar with the Liquifier. But I do have an EHX Small Clone for my guitar pedalboard. And it pops like the dickens when you engage it. I have a few true bypass pedals on guitar and bass (my Bass Soul Food is another one) that do that because static electricity builds up and then discharges when you hit the switch. There are a few of my guitar pedals that I have to switch on and off a few times before I turn the amp on, or I'll blow the amp sky high.

eriky4003 likes this.
  19. When I returned the Liquifier the sales peeps at the store said it sounded like Ampeg decided not to include a cheap diode that would remove the pop. Hopefully, Ampeg has reconsidered. I believe only my EHX POG2 makes noise when engaging so I feel pretty lucky with my pedals.

20. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    I think the biggest selling point to me of the EHX Bass Clone is the crossover, so it leaves the lower frequencies alone. Trying to chorus the low E or B would be muddy mushiness. I wonder if the TC Corona Mini has a similar option. My guess would be yes. From my experience with the Spectracomp, their editor is usually pretty darn extensive.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022