Mini pot grounding question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JazzEJ, Sep 3, 2017.

1. JazzEJ

JazzEJ

Mar 26, 2016
    Hello fellow talkbassers! I have a question that I know someone here can help me with.
    Here goes. I'm going to be installing new Seymour Duncan passive pickups in my Schecter Session bass. It now has active pickups so I have to replace the pots with 500k pots. I'm going to wire it stacked vol/vol and a push pull tone pot so I can have two tone cap. values. I could not a cts stacked pot with treading long enough to go through body so I ordered a mini pot from allparts.

Problem is I'm not sure where to ground the two lugs as the pot back isn't solid and there's a lot of plastic right under the back so I'm considering finding a solder lug and soldering to that but any help would be wonderful. Thanks to all.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    You can solder anywhere on the body - maybe the sides. Or don't solder the pot at all and use a Lockwasher lug between the pot and the body and solder to that:

B1908445.jpg

But if your cavity is well shielded and grounded, you don't need a ground wire on the body of the pot at all.

3. JazzEJ

JazzEJ

Mar 26, 2016
    Thanks. That what I meant by solder lug. I figured I could run the ground from the lugs to that. My cavity has the shielding paint but I'm thinking I will shield the cavity with copper shielding. I also thought about making a common ground for the pick up ground wires with a lug grounded to the shielding and the tone and volume ground to a common ground on the jack.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    You can introduce noise by putting copper sheeting over grounding paint. I don't recommend it. Is there a problem with the shielding paint?

5. Yeah, don't put copper over shielding paint. If the existing shielding paint has been applied too thinly to have good conductivity, then add a few layers of new paint, on top of it.

6. JazzEJ

JazzEJ

Mar 26, 2016
    No there's nothing wrong with the paint. thats what I saw in other forums on other sites that claimed that was the way to go. That's why I come here before doing anything.

I did see on this site where another player covered his cavity in copper shielding and then put a lug onto the cavity side and put his pickup ground wires there. Can I do that then put the ground wires from the pot lugs to a washer lug between the pot and cavity.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022