1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mini-pots inside Seymour Duncan STC-3A 3 band preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gravyboat, Jul 25, 2007.

1. I'm trying to figure out what the little blue plastic mini-pots in the Seymour Duncan STC-3A 3 band preamp are for. Here's a link to a photo where they are visible: http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/stc_3m3.gif
    My bass is very loud -- it clips on nearly every amp I use, so I'm thinking that these may adjust the output volume, but the 'naked ear' can't tell the difference.

2. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    I believe they're tone controls for the bypassed "slap switch" mode.

3. UBU

UBU

Nov 15, 2006
    NYC
    I think one of the pots is to adjust the bass, and the other is to set the mid freq when you pull the slap switch

4. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I have this pre-amp in my Warwick. They both affect the slap contour (pull volume). One is for the amount of bass boost the other controls the amount of mid cut.

Can't you just turn down the gain on the amp?

5. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    sorry to hijack, but since people don't talk about the STC3a often, I wanted to jump at the opportunity.

I bought mine used and it brings 5 pots. I thought it was supposed to bring only 4?? My Warwick ss2 only has 4 holes and i'm not about to drill anything. I don't even know which pot does what.

6. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    Well, you did buy it used :smug: That person might have had 5 holes. Here's the wiring diagram for it. The default config has a stacked bass/treble pot, so if that's what you're going for you'll need one of those and connect it like shown.

7. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    On my Warwick the volume and blend controles are stacked, so its: 1. Volume(pull: slap) / Blend, 2. High, 3. Mid, 4. Low

8. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    that's how my warwick came originally, but I don't know if the STC3a can do that...?

9. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    It can do that. You just have to wire up the pots like that.

10. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    do i need to use the MEC pots, or can i somehow use the SD pots to do that configuration? (i'm a total noob at electronics wiring). your help is much appreciated though! believe me!

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    There are many preamps that have those...they're called trim pots, and they're for fine-tayloring your mids/low-mids sweep and volume to taste. Some preamps even have them on all three eq pots. Of course maxing out the levels is just going to make everything distort easier.

If your bass output is too hot, you should be using the padded (sometimes called active) -12db input jack on your amp

12. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    :eyebrow: Please read before posting.

13. Azoore

Azoore

Sep 1, 2004
    Akron, OH
    The SD pots probably won't work, as you need a stacked volume/blend, and it probably doesn't have any since it's setup for 5 holes. The MEC pots should work fine for it though.

You'll have to rewire a lot to get it working correctly. I think you should have someone who's experienced do it rather than potentially messing it all up :p

If not, here's a wiring diagram for the stock MEC electronics on a SSII. You can use this to figure out what the different connections on the MEC pots are, then use the STC-3 diagram to figure out where to connect them.