Mini Q-tron -> Eden WT800B Question(Whats going on?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OrangeSun, Mar 16, 2006.

1. OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I have a Eden WT800B going bridged through a Peavy 410TX. I use a mini q-tron a lot in order to cut through more on the high end in my band during practice. However, when I have it on I notice that the compressor is activated a lot, as well as the max output light flickering a lot as well(Particularly lower notes or during slap(I play a 4 string)). However, the eq clip light never, ever lights while this is happening.

Is this doing damage to my amplifier? Why is this happening?

I also have a Boss distortion that I sometimes use along with the Mini q, and when they are both activated these lights dont go off. I also occaisonally use an E-H Bassballs without the lights flickering either.

It would seem to me that if the compressor and the max output light was activating then the EQ would be clipping, but it doesnt. Also, How could I be putting the entire 880 watts through my cab when its on about half full gain and volume.

Other things ive noted: Only the max output light for the A amplifier flicks when this happens in bridge mode, but when ive tried it with only one of the amplifiers through it, both the A and B lights flicker when it happens.

What is going on here?
  2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Try using it thru the effects loop instead of in front of the preamp.
  3. Hey Brother,
    I used to own one of those. Great pedal but it gives you a
    significant volume/gain boost when activated. Going through the effects loop won't sound very good. Envelope filters generally need to be fed directly IMHO.Hope this helps.
  4. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    I noticed the same thing..... backing off on the drive knob doesn't help, does it? (didn't with me, really, but EHX stuff varies so much...)
  5. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I use a carl martin compressor before the signal goes to the amp & I never have a problem on my WT800B.

The signal is :

bass-->octave-->envelope filter-->compressor-->amp
  6. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I had the same problem with my Mini Q. You could try a looper with a blend knob or something of the like. I sold mine and bought a Discombobulator. Fixed the problem nicely.:)
  7. OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Am I damaging my amp by doing this?

Is a compressor the best answer? I like the sound of the qtron a lot
  8. The EQ section does not necessarily have to be overloaded in order for the max output light to clip. With moderate EQ settings the EQ section probably has a lot of headroom left. Extreme boosting will cause the EQ to clip.

The compressor light is not a problem, provided you don't mind a bit of compression now and then. The max output light isn't a problem provided that it's only occassionally flickering. If it's lit up a lot, or for extended periods then you're getting into the danger area.

There's a misconception about that in order for a bass amp to output it's max rated power that the volume control has to be dimed. This is not so in all amps that I've seen. In fact, the manual for my older Trace Elliot states that the power amp section is almost certainly clipping by the time the master volume passes 4 on the scale! I don't know why they design amps to do this, but they do.

The transients and extreme EQ that the mini Q offers up can be hard work for an amp to deal with. One option is a compressor or a limiter, another is to tame the settings on your mini Q.