Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mini Q-Tron VS Digitech Bass Synth Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Jun 6, 2005.

1. I have an option of buying either of these (10 dollars more for the Q tron) and I think the Digitech BSW would be more versatile and useful...thoughts?

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    What do you want to do with the pedal? If you just want an envelope filter sound, then you'd want to compare the tone of the Q-Tron to that of the BSW in it's filter mode. If you feel you need the synth modes too, then that's going to push you more in the direction of the BSW. A warning about syth sounds, I've found that a lot of stuff that sounds super-cool noodling in the store is completely useless in any band setting. You may like the synth sounds but you have to ask yourself whether you're really going to use them all that much.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have a BSW, I bought it for the envelope filter feature. I think it does the funky wah effect real well. Especially when striking and muting major 5th and octave positions together. Sounds pretty close to those 1970s TV themes from my childhood.

The bass synth is good for those old disco tunes where they make the bass "talk".

God help us if disco makes a comeback.

If you go with the Digi-Tech, make sure you buy the power supply. The manual states that battery life is 4 hours.

4. do you know what power supply works for it exactly?

5. In a funk band I'd use it.

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The guy in GC gave me the red Boss wall wart we used for testing for free. PSA 120.

I went ahead and ordered a 1 Spot power supply from MF. I figure the $29.00 price is fair enough if it can power all the pedals I will care to have. I want a chorus and a effects loop switch in the future.