Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mini Q-tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    is it any good on bass?

does any one have any sound samples?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    one major problem with it is that it doesn't have a level control, so you can get wild volume variations with it on.

3. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    For the price, spot on. You can't expect top quality controls for something only worth £60...

No better envelope filter at that price.

4. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    dont bother with that, save up for a Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter pedal, you wont regret it! :hyper:

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I didn't care for it vs. other filters like a bassballs, digitech BSW, Maxon phase 90. All better IMO.

6. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Comparing a Q-Tron with the Bassballs is like comparing an apple pie with a cherry one...completely different.

7. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    they both have the same tone and same wah sound so your pie are both apple mate just that ones got a squirt of cream on the top.
    IMO they also sond like the jaque trinity pedal as well but the maxon wpies the floor. :cool:

8. I tried the normal Q tron in Bristol Sound Control today, and I was really disappointed - I was hoping for that "Sir Psyco Sexy" slow envelope, but it was totally different. I think it would be great for funk guitar, but I dont see me using one on bass somehow though.

9. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    yea i did something similiar , i tried all of them out next to each other in an effects shop and they all sounded like they use a similiar circuit(s). compared to the Maxon they sounded cheap and 'fizzy' (thats the word i was looking for ). i think the bassballs is probably made to sound identical to the original which has a great legacy with larry graham using it etc but i dont see the point of the Q tron and mini Q , they dont really improve or update the sound and most people are after that mutron 3/ bootsy sound. maybe im talking a load of bullocks , its 3 am here! :D

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005

I own both. They sound completely different.

One is two filters together that peak at marginally different times, it does not 'wah' at all. Very smooth sounding. Add distortion it's quite synth like.

The Q-Tron Wahs. It's a standard envelope filter.

11. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    but the tone of both is fizzy, where as the maxon keeps the original tone of your bass without adding that apple pie fizz :D

12. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005

Fizzy? No. Again, I own both. No problems, whatsoever.

13. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    not fuzzy, fizzy, try it out next to a maxon and youll see :bassist:

14. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Now you're confusing me. I said they're not fizzy, and you said they wern't fuzzy, they were fizzy. They're neither! I own both, but I'll certainly have to check out this maxon and see if it's worth it's weight in gold.

15. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    :D