1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mini Q - tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Moonraker, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I've heard about this pedal and it's a lot cheaper than the Q tron or Q tron+ has anyone got one or know how good it sounds?
    By the way does anyone know what effects Bootsy Collins uses? I want to get his 'rubbery' mad effect sound , I can't find no website on the net that has anything about his gear and effects.

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  3. bumpcity

bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    NYC
    gfab333: Hey, neat site with the simulations! that is so cool. The web rocks for stuff like that!

Moonraker: I gather you are looking for an inexpensive pedal, but I would recommend the Moogerfooger low pass filter much more than the Qtron. I have a Q, and I am not that happy with the sound, the Moog is perhaps the best pedal effect I have ever heard, however, it will set you back about $270...just play one and you will want one. The Qtron isn't dynamic or expressive enough (IMHO), though I think it sounds great for keys or guitar...the response in the low end isn't as dramatic. Bootsy, I believe, uses the mutron or mutron III for the sound you are describing. There was a bass player issue with him on the cover that described his (HUGE) rig.

4. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Thanks for the responses. I'd love to buy a Moogerfooger or a Lovetone meatball or a Mutron but these things are ****ing expensive! I just can't afford it. If only we were all rich!

5. joegoose

joegoose

Jun 28, 2001
    UK, Colchester
    hi,
    go for a Boss auto-wah, Flea uses one so it must be pretty good, also he uses it in conjuction with a bassballs pedal, so you can buy one and then buy another later! choa!

6. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I just got the Flea "starlicks" video, the one (or perhaps the only one) featuring River Phoenix as host. He used a DOD 25 envelope filter in the video and it sound pretty good. go to an auction site and get it for cheap. DOD has released a 25b, not sure of how it sounds, I just bought one and I'm waitting for it to arrive. I will post a review when I get it.

edited to say........I have owned the boss aw-2 and it does not sound all that great. The boss syb-3 has a t-wah that sound far better. if wah is what you want.

7. I have a Boss AW-3. It doesn't sound quite as good as a Q-tron, but the tap-tempo auto-wah feature makes up for it.

8. joegoose

joegoose

Jun 28, 2001
    UK, Colchester
    I HAVE SOLVED ALL YOUR PROBLEMS PEOPLE!!!!!!!
    Line 6 are just bringing out a Filter pedal with 16 classic patches of Mu-Tron, moogs etc.i