Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mini Q - tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Moonraker, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I've heard about this pedal and it's a lot cheaper than the Q tron or Q tron+ has anyone got one or know how good it sounds?
    By the way does anyone know what effects Bootsy Collins uses? I want to get his 'rubbery' mad effect sound , I can't find no website on the net that has anything about his gear and effects.

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  3. bumpcity

bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    NYC
    gfab333: Hey, neat site with the simulations! that is so cool. The web rocks for stuff like that!

Moonraker: I gather you are looking for an inexpensive pedal, but I would recommend the Moogerfooger low pass filter much more than the Qtron. I have a Q, and I am not that happy with the sound, the Moog is perhaps the best pedal effect I have ever heard, however, it will set you back about $270...just play one and you will want one. The Qtron isn't dynamic or expressive enough (IMHO), though I think it sounds great for keys or guitar...the response in the low end isn't as dramatic. Bootsy, I believe, uses the mutron or mutron III for the sound you are describing. There was a bass player issue with him on the cover that described his (HUGE) rig.

4. Moonraker

Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    Thanks for the responses. I'd love to buy a Moogerfooger or a Lovetone meatball or a Mutron but these things are ****ing expensive! I just can't afford it. If only we were all rich!

5. joegoose

joegoose

Jun 28, 2001
    UK, Colchester
    hi,
    go for a Boss auto-wah, Flea uses one so it must be pretty good, also he uses it in conjuction with a bassballs pedal, so you can buy one and then buy another later! choa!

6. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I just got the Flea "starlicks" video, the one (or perhaps the only one) featuring River Phoenix as host. He used a DOD 25 envelope filter in the video and it sound pretty good. go to an auction site and get it for cheap. DOD has released a 25b, not sure of how it sounds, I just bought one and I'm waitting for it to arrive. I will post a review when I get it.

edited to say........I have owned the boss aw-2 and it does not sound all that great. The boss syb-3 has a t-wah that sound far better. if wah is what you want.

7. I have a Boss AW-3. It doesn't sound quite as good as a Q-tron, but the tap-tempo auto-wah feature makes up for it.

8. joegoose

joegoose

Jun 28, 2001
    UK, Colchester
    I HAVE SOLVED ALL YOUR PROBLEMS PEOPLE!!!!!!!
    Line 6 are just bringing out a Filter pedal with 16 classic patches of Mu-Tron, moogs etc.i