1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mini Q-tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Si-bob, Dec 5, 2001.

1. can any body tell me there thoughts on the Mini
    Q-tron by Electro Harmonix?

good?
    bad?
    fun?
    one dog trick?

cheers

*Si*

2. I had a used EBS IQ that was breaking up when I attacked it hard (dynamic range was too narrow for me). When I went to trade it in for a new one, a guy suggested I try the mini Q. Turned out to be a perfect fit. I'm still exploring sounds with it, but here's my first impressions. Lo pass seems most usable, although hi pass works well when comping chords.

I had been put off by the multible knobs and adjustments on the Q+. The Mini Q is as simple as the EBS, but has a greater dynamic range for attack. I don't get the tight, rubber ball wah of the IQ, but I do get a pretty good sound with as much "bloop" as I want to dial in. It is also a LOT easier to adjust for slapping.

Also different from the other Q-trons, it uses a standard 9 volt battery or adapter. And it seems to be a clean bypass (I can't hear any difference in my sound when plugged straight into the amp, or run through the pedal in bypass mode). At $95 vs $140 for the used EBS IQ, I'm happy with the trade.