Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mini Review: Filakovsky Greenie Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Sep 13, 2005.

1. My friend and bass maker, John Filakovsky asked me to check out and review one of his instruments, so here I go.

Type: Jazz bass
    Body: Quilted Maple over Ash
    Color: Green
    Neck: Maple w/maple board - 1.5" nut
    Hardware: Black
    Pickups: Sadowsky
    Pre amp: Sadowsky VTC (18 volt)
    Bridge: Gotoh

I've had the bass 2 weeks and have played it about 6 hours.

Fit & finish: Nothing short of perfect! The neck joint is very solid and tight. The frets are medium-jumbo and are dressed perfectly. The body is a gorgeous green quilted maple. Has to be seen in person.

Hardware: The black Schaller tuners and Gotoh bridge go very well with the green color of the instrument. A better choice than gold or chrome in my opinion.

Feel: This baby feels like the best Jazz bass you've ever laid your hands on. You know how a special instrument feels and speaks to you before you plug it in? This is one of them. It's just dripping with quality and you can feel it when you pick it up.

Playability: The bass came set up with low action (not too low) and strung with Dean Markley Blue Steels, one of my favorite strings. This is a shred machine. Anything you play, you can play your best on this gal. I was doing 70s-style Disco octaves (don't laugh) up and down the neck faster than I could on my Stingray! I don't slap, but If you do, Greenie will accomodate you nicely.

The best for last: Sound.

Sound: Holy Batman! This is what really impressed me.

Firstly, the pickups have a very high output. The volume level I normally get with most of my other basses with the amp set at 5, I was getting at 3 1/2 !!! And absolutely clean!
    Greenie can do 60s-style "White Rabbit," 70s-style B.B. Dickerson of War, or John Paul Jones Led Zepellin and Marcus Miller!

I'm not kidding. ;)

My favorite EQ settings were:

Bass: 6
    Mids: 3 - 5
    Treble: 0 - 3

At the above setting, with both pups on full, I got a great, 60s-style treble roll off sound like John Paul Jones on Led Zepellin 2. This is the sound all Jazz-type basses worth their salt must excel at, in my humble opinion.

One thing I loved about the EQ was that with the treble set at zero, there's absolutely no treble. I know that's how it should be with all basses, but as many of you know this is not always the case.

Can Greenie do thunder?
    Yes, simply solo the neck pup.

Can Greenie do Jaco?
    ABSOLUTELY !!! Greenie does one of the best Jacos I've ever heard.

Now, you may be thinking that I've given Greenie such a glowing review because her maker is my friend, but I say to you: Come and play her for yourself.

She'll be at the NYC get-together this Sunday.

And she wants to be played. ;)

Mike

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool i cant wait to check it out :D

3. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Thanks for the kind words Mike. Sorry for the confusion, but the pre-amp is actually a Sadowsky with the VTC.
    heres some pics, I hope............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Opps!

Fixed it, John. :)

Mike

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Wait, how did you have the mids set at anything with a Sadowsky preamp?

6. There were 3 knobs. :confused:

Mike

7. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Volume, Blend, Treble, Bass and VTC.

Not sure if bass and treble are the stacked ones, or if its bass and VTC.

I was just curious, thats all. And now I'm trying to figure out what you actually had your preamp set at. :)

8. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    The concentric knob is bass and treble, the one that you referred to as mid control, is what sadowsky call Vintage tone control. That's all. Plain and simple.

9. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That clears it up. Thanks!

10. I did not know this!

Mike

11. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah, it's just the same kind of tone control as you would find on a passive jazz bass. Basically, it's a passive treble roll off. You'll also find (IIRC) that this control still works when the preamp is bypassed. Might help you nail a "vintage tone vibe."

12. Regardless, it's still a great-sounding bass.

I'll leave the review unedited. ;)

Mike

13. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    If looks are any indication, it sure is one hell of a bass.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is ! I reviewed it as well. :bassist:

15. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    It's very attractive visually. Nice pictures ... I'll have to check out his web site

16. My apologies for any confusion I may have caused in misidentifying the preamp as a 3 band instead of a 2 band.

Another of life's most embarrassing moments. :oops:

Mike ;)