Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mini Review - New Sadowsky Ultra Vintage 70's Retro Metro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tommixx, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Let me first say that I currently have a NYC Vintage 4 that I LOVE and you have probably read me extolling her virtues here...the Ultra Vintage is EVERY bit as good as my NYC which surprised me!!!

I've been playing almost 7 hours now...and finally decided I need a break!!! Pics WON'T do this one justice!! My cam died at my daughter's bday party a couple weeks ago but I'll try and get my brothers cam and get a couple picks of the "Family" This Bass is TOTALLY different than my NYC but in a GREAT way.......I don't want to give a full review here until I've giged it a few times and got it on tape.....BUT it IS definitely a Sadowsky.....anybody that has one knows what I mean......anybody that doesn't needs to find out!!!

The Quality is excellent...the setup is perfect, NOT a single dead spot anywhere, the first thing I noticed was how full and pronounced the D and G were, so much so that I called the shop and asked Nino if the strings were different or if the bass was setup that way or what.....checked the pickup height and it is even and pretty much the same as my NYC......a REAL pleasure to play to say the least....weight is right at 9 lbs so it is a little heavier than the Chambered Alder of my NYC but is very manageable and still better than a LOT of basses out there....

I have played through a U5 into a CA9 into a Bergie HT112, a Cafe Walter headphone amp, and through my Meyer HD1 reference monitors, sounded great through them all...can you say PUNCHY!!...Very even and percussive in the attack as it should be with the maple but this one has it in spades!! I hear peolpe say that maple is too bright for them and I understand......BUT, I actually had the treble boosted a tad in spots and it was smooth as silk!!! Not brittle or harsh at all......I have a Thunderfunk 550 and an Accugroove El Whappo (I switched to a Whappo!!!!) on the way next week so I should be able to get better results and give more details by then........

Last but not least, I name all of the basses that I own and I think this a keeper....she is a bit on the spicy side with plenty of zing (the SLAP TONE IS OFF DA CHAIN), she's got a sweet side too though because I had them add the VTC so I can really mellow her out and get it a bit on the dark side as well. As a result, I have decided to name her Cinamon....My NYC is called Honey because she is so sweet....Sounds like I'm developing quite a sweet tooth here, eh...... :help: :D

More to come...... :hyper:

Peace,

T

2. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Cool review, thanks a lot. I've been curious about those myself. It is a 5, yes? They look wider spaced in the banner than the Standard or Vintage series... is that the case?

Thanks man. . .

3. Gruuv...yeah its a 5...the spacing feels a little wider than my NYC but I'm not certain because I'm almost in a coma from playing her all day!! AND because I have been playing mostly the NYC 4 almost exclusively lately....Shoot a mail to Roger or give em a call...I found the neck to be the fastest 5 string neck I've ever played!!! Spacing is good to me so far......

Peace,

T

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    one man's "brite" is another's "cut"... ;) but NO sense of "buried alive" syndrome with me Sad's.

little OT, IMHO, i'm pretty sure over the few years i've experienced the Sadowsky carve, the 4 stringers have gotten thinner, while the 5's have gotten a tad wider.

still, Roger's necks are the standard bearer for comfort in my book.

5. You have just made my wait even more unbearable than it already is to have to wait until june/july ;)

CONGRATS!

6. Thanks D!!

I got really lucky, I had called and ordered one sometime back and was waiting until May myself when this one came in!!

Peace,

T

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The one thing that my Metro (RV5) dosen't give me, and it may be the strings is that 70's Jazz bark, do you find the new vintage has some of that quality. I have a feeling it may just be strings I'm playing the stainless now and I think that tone is more of a nickle thing. I love the rest of the toones my metro gives me, I guess I'll just have to have another one!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad to here it is working out for you!, Sadowsy 5 strings are some of the best 5 strings out their. :hyper: :bassist:

9. Burk - Try the Sadowsky Nickels and roll the PU selector up a tad toward the neck position and add some Highs with the pre (a little goes a long way...I don't use a LOT of High or Low on the Pre) To me the Stainless are not mellow enough to get the fingerstyle 70's vibe on the Rosewood Neck....and you still won't get that "percussive effect" that you get with Ash/Maple but you can get REAL close with the right onboard pre adjustments and hand position....no matter what you do you can't quite get the 70's slap out of it either.....

Now on the new Ultra Vintage I just got .....ssssssssshhhooooooooooootttttt...this thing OOOZZES 70's MOJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
    I have mentioned here that I have a Marcus 4 that I use with my Sadowsky outboard and thought that was pretty decent but this is a whole other story.....I can't recommend this bass enough.....I have been playing it for about 4 hours today through the line in on a channel strip (not even with a DI) of a small Mackie mixer, mono out to a CA-9 driving a single Bergie HT112 and it still sounds fabulous!!!! (the wife finally said I had to give it up or she was going shopping!!) This is after playing it about 7 hours side by side with my NYC Vintage 4 yesterday and the only complaint I have is it is not as light as my NYC!!!!! It is about 3/4 lb heavier but I can feel it after a couple hours.......You know they have a 7 day no fault return policy.....buy one and try it keep it if you like it, send it back if you don't, what could be easier?

Major.....I love Sadowskys in general, I have played 7 now and liked them all....I sent the last 5er I got back because it just wasn't "The ONE" for me...the guy that bought it is on the testimonals page and he loves it......just different feel I guess....I should mention that this neck is the fastest playing 5 neck I've EVER had my hands on!!!!

This one is definitely a keeper....The bad part is I have yet to really HEAR her because I'm couped up in my house recovering from a hip replacement and can't get out that easily to my rehearsal space or 1 of the studios I work in and play through a great rig because I sold almost my entire "home" rig this week!! I shipped everything out on Thursday and the bass got here on Friday.....BUT that is OK.....my T-Funk and my El Whappo will be here next week!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :D :D :D and you know what that means.... :bassist: :D

More to come I'm sure!!!!!

Peace,

T

10. You made me some GASing...it's bad.. :crying:

Cograts anyway. It sounds you've got right one.. :cool:

11. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    The new Ultra Vintage metros look nice, and probably play nica also, but IMO they are about 300 dollars too expensive. I think that they should be the same price as the other Sadowsky Metro 5ers.

12. So the block inlays, white binding, and different cut for the PU positions should be free? I doubt that.....I OWN ONE, trust me, it is a bargain just like it is.........

Peace,

T

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hate to nag,

but pics?

14. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    The blocks and the binding are just for the looks, but I'm not saying that is not a good bass. Congrats for you, Sadowsky 5ers rock!

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Your bass has an alder body ... the ash version would give you more of that stringy '70s tone.

You'll just have to get a matching MV5 ;)

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Do you have a "comfort strapp"? My RV5 is 9.6lbs, but with the comfort it feels juuuuuust fine.

17. If you dont get pictures of this up soon I'm gonna die man! :)

18. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    +1 :D

19. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tommix, I know the nickle strings would help, I just like the rest of the sounds of my metro to much to switch. In fact I really love the slap sound!!!! I think it's probably more modern, but it fills the low end better then any bass I've owned. I guess I'm going to have to by a ash/rosewood vintage with nickle strings to get that "70's Bark". I thought about just buying a Fender RI and hot rodding it, (seymore ultra J's and Sadowsky Pre) but I know I'd just end up tradeing it for one of rogers basses latter!!! So can I get that "bark" with the rosewood board and the nickle strings or should I go maple? PS, the reason I'm leaning toward rosewood is I'm hopping with the nickles I can get a little closer to the "old school-motown" vibe too, I know I want nail it, but I can't even think about buyung two more of Rogers basses! And if any one wants to contribute to the"BSAMV fund-buy steve a metro vintage" My adress is........... :D

20. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Could someone please explain to me the relationship between these new metros and the TOkyo series?