MINI-REVIEWS: MXR Carbon Copy, MXR El Grande

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Jul 8, 2008.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    If you pop off the back of your El Grande - I'll tell you right away if it's a tonebender clone or not.

TB clones MUST have only a pair of clipping diodes and only three transistor stages - in my experience with about a half a dozen different types of muff mods to tonebender specs and my own builds - I'd say - above all those two features are the "heart and soul" of the tonebender fuzz.

In fact if you have a Big muff (not a little big muff) then you can get REALLY close to the tonebender sound by simply removing parts and adding a jumper (sure you could change some values of transistors, resistors, and capacitors)

BUT if you want to get a quick and nasty idea of what a tonebender sounds like - you pull the last transistor stage (the one without clipping diodes and right before the volume pot, make sure you pull everything between the tonestack and the volume pot - about 6 components) and you pull the first pair of clipping diodes and the cap attached to them. then you jumper the end of the tonestack to the input side of the volume pot.

that's it.

if you want the cheapest tonebender around buy a new russian muff and do this mod.

It'll work.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    I don't own the El Grande - I just gave it a test run in a shop. :p

Interesting facts about the Tonebender circuit, though! I'm assuming we're talking about the Jumbo?

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Jumbo - yes.

but my guideline above refer strictly to the actual archeticture of the circuit. You can use different components to get even closer.

I've been building and noodling with Tonebender clones for about a year now. For fun I decided to take a TB clone and add back in the last transistor stage - and it really changed the overall response of the pedal - it behaved more like a
    muff - softer compression and crazier at the higher gain settings. I use a tranny with a super high hfe which could also be the culprit - but to me is essentially lost the character of a 3 knob jumbo tonebender with silicon diodes.

For the record - I like the TB because it is "stiffer" than a muff and has more of a ragged high end.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Someone sig that, quick! :p

5. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Damn... but I already have a priceless quote in there. :(

6. DyerWolf

DyerWolf

Jun 3, 2007
    Someone on TalkBass MUST have an El Grande. I'd really love to know if this is the case.

7. If someone wants to send me the el grande i'll do a mic'd comparison to the tonebender and take pics of the inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bassist:

then if it sounds better I'll steal it.

But really, something that's almost 1/3rd the price and size of a tonebender sounds like a winner to me...

8. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    AHEM

:p

9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Akeris, that's creepy, man. Really creepy. :eek:

Who goes digging in threads from three months ago to quote ME? :eyebrow:

But I did no soundclips, so the suffering continues. :p

10. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    Haha, the review made me want an El Grande, so I searched and started looking through old threads. Then I found that, and posted it.

Or maybe I stalk you.

:hyper: :D

11. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    ...or maybe he IS you, Fight Club style.

12. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    Yeah, but I don't live in Jersey. :p

But I do have insomnia and an unexplained charge on my credit card for a round-trip flight from Oakland to...

...ah, crap. :meh:

13. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. Or is it MysticBoo? Nah, his name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson. His name is Robert Paulson.

14. Popped the back off of mine and there's not a whole lot to see....One mini pot, one mini switch and one jumper wire. Everything else is surface mounted on the backside including the footswitch.

No time to dismantle it this evening, maybe I'll find time over the weekend.

15. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    In Death, members of Project Mayhem do have a name. His name...is Robert Paulson.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021